622 install question.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeremyburns007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Ok, I ordered my 622 and it is supposed to be installed on 5/24. The guy at Dish told me that the 622 would come "about 10 days before that". Cool.

I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. I don't exactly know what kind of switch I have on the 500. They go into my 811 (and a 301) and I already have VOOM and the HD pack. So my question is: Is there anything for the install guy to install? Or could I just do it myself with a cable splitter to make two inputs going into the 622? I'm pretty sure I can do that myself, but I don't want to screw it up and lose my install date (which i hear happens when they activate your 622 on self-installs). Any advice? TIA.

Depending on your LNBs you might not need a separate switch. The LNB on the D300 could feed into the input of a DPP Twin on the D500 then 2 downleads could feed your two receivers. You would use the separator that comes with the 622 to feed that single coax going to the 622 into both tuner inputs. So the answer to your question really depends on what LNBs you currently have and how they're connected. The installer will (re)configure your LNBs and cables for your new installation and perhaps repoint the dishes if they need it for stronger signals if they're low on the "Point Dish" screens. You can do some or all of this yourself with the correct equipment. Do you actually have an external switch mounted at the 500? What is the rest of the equipment you have? We can answer more specifically with that information. Look here for some insight on doing it yourself, switch and LNB info, etc...

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/swconfig.htm

Last edited:
Thanks......

You're right. The D300 feeds into the LNB on the D500 and the downleads from the D500 go to my two receivers. There are no external switches at all. My satellite signals are all very strong. It sounds like I should be able to pull this off without waiting for the install. I just wanted to make sure I had the right kind of LNB on the D500 and it sounds like I do. Anything else I should know?

I agree - sounds like you're ready for a 622 "quick install". Since you have a scheduled install date there may be some reluctance on E*'s part to activate it until the installer is there. (Lot's of posts about this.) Also - if the installer doesn't get involved then you might not get the 90-day warranty on the "installation". (I'm still not sure how that works or whether it matters any if nothing was installed except the new receiver itself.)

What is your final configuration to be? If you're planning to dump one of your current receivers then if I were you, when the 622 arrives I'd swap it out using the separator to feed the signal to both tuners, turn it on, let it D/L the SW update and PG information and run through its checks. You'll eventually get to the activation screen. Call E* and see if they will activate it from there. I recommend you use the tech support option. You may need to try several times to get a cooperative tech who will activate if for you. They have ways to close-out the work order so the installer still gets paid, and do ask about that warranty. If for some reason that doesn't work or they won't activate it you can put the old receiver back in its place until the installer arrives. Good luck with it and do report back with your experience...!

PS - There's a useful document "ViP622 Product Launch" that I have and used for my self-install, but for the life of me I can't find the link right now! Maybe someone else can provide that link, or let me know if you want it and I'll try to PM it to you as an attachment...

So if you have a Dish 1000, there isn't anything else I would need. I could just hook it up and fire it up and get it activated over the phone without need for a dish installer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts