622 - Issues with volume of voices on HD Channels (music/background volume fine)

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I have been having an intermittent problem with voices on HD channels. Previously, it was limited to sports events, in which the volume of the announcers was either low or non-existent. I could however hear the crowd noise and other noise from the event (sound of the golf ball getting hit, player talking to caddy, etc.) just fine. This has happened on both Sat and OTA HD channels, and only on HD channels. My wife DVR'd Desparate Housewives last night and the problem surfaced again. I have my 622 connected to a Sony Dolby Digital receiver via optical cable. Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

kelton325 said:
I have been having an intermittent problem with voices on HD channels. Previously, it was limited to sports events, in which the volume of the announcers was either low or non-existent. I could however hear the crowd noise and other noise from the event (sound of the golf ball getting hit, player talking to caddy, etc.) just fine. This has happened on both Sat and OTA HD channels, and only on HD channels. My wife DVR'd Desparate Housewives last night and the problem surfaced again. I have my 622 connected to a Sony Dolby Digital receiver via optical cable. Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

The HD chanels broadcasting in DD5.1 require more power than the SD channels; thus, it is normal for them to be about 1/2 as loud as a SD channel. I am constantly adjusting volume on my Sony receiver when a SD channel is selected. I will regularly have the HD channel at about a volume level of 40 on my STR-DE998, and the volume at about 25 for SD channels.

But all that said, you shouldn't lose the volume altogether. Have you checked what sound setting you are using on the receiver? Is it set to A.F.D. (auto format decode)?; the Sony's have a ton of sound fields, so its altogether possible that one of the sound fields could make it as if there is little volume.

ALAS, it is probably equally likely that you just have a bad 622.

If you have a spare optical cable, maybe you could swap it out and see if the problem persists. Maybe pull one from a DVD player if you have one?

Good luck.

I am experiencing the very same problem, but I have a DVR942 with Software L288. It's intermittent, happens mostly with Starz channels and HD channels. Also, when I record a showtime event, sound cuts out intermittently during playback. And, funny thing, I also have a Sony receiver. Yes, there are a lot of fields, I keep it on the standard surrround setting. I set the AFD, but it doesn't stay. I haven't yet tried the optical cable changeout. Had problems with that early on, and everyone was turning green. I bought a new one, and that solved it. Now this....

tikup said:
I am experiencing the very same problem, but I have a DVR942 with Software L288. It's intermittent, happens mostly with Starz channels and HD channels. Also, when I record a showtime event, sound cuts out intermittently during playback. And, funny thing, I also have a Sony receiver. Yes, there are a lot of fields, I keep it on the standard surrround setting. I set the AFD, but it doesn't stay. I haven't yet tried the optical cable changeout. Had problems with that early on, and everyone was turning green. I bought a new one, and that solved it. Now this....

Why was everyone turning green from an optical cable? Or did you mean a Component video cable gone bad?

I definitely understand what you are saying about sound fields on Sony receivers not staying the same. I definitely have much more of a sound issue with the 622 and the new 998 SONY receiver than I had with my SD Dish receivers, and my older 598 Sony receiver. Of course, then most stuff was broadcast in PCM sound, and only the rare movie on HBO or Showtime was actually putting out 5.1 audio; and even then it was lower in sound.

Thanks for the responses! I believe I may have a bad (or almost) bad optical cable. I checked to see if it was fully plugged in, and as I was jiggling it, I seemed to get a better response out of the audio. Unfortunately, I couldn't go back to the DVR of Desparate Housewives because my wife deleted it, but I will be paying attention to everything else.

Hopefully this solves the problem. It isn't an issue of the volume being lower, just the voices... I do notice that the SD channels are louder than the HD, but the problem I've been having is much more than that... once I turn it up so the music/crowd noise is normal, the dialog/announcer is like a whisper.

Currently watching Miami/FS on ESPNHD, looks and sounds GREAT!!! :)

Remember, 5.1 DD/DTS material has a much wider audio range. But, I've never noticed my than a 20-25% difference. From what's been described here, something else is most likely the problem.
First, make sure your AV receiver isn't processing any sound fields on the original audio, good ol' Dolby Digital to start with. Next, when you notice a problem, try to check other channels that should have DD 5.1. Same problem there or different? I've heard a lot of variance in sound quality, especially on the local network affiliates. Our local ABC channel took a while to figure things out. Sometimes no center channel, some times down-mixed stereo, some times left channel only... you get the picture. With HD and digital broadcasting, There are whole new areas to screw up. No offense to the broadcast engineers, but many of them are in new teritory, and many affiliates in smaller markets can't afford the best equipment. Before you blame the ViP 622, I'd look at the source material...

Your problem description sounds as if your center channel signal is cutting out. This would not be caused by a bad optical cable, and is unlikely to be the 622. A bad cable will lose signal completely, or you will get intermittent lock and the entire signal will come and go.
Losing the center channel will cause a loss of dialogue only on program material with a true 5.1 mix, so its quite possible that you'll get good sound from DD 2.0 or 2.1 broadcasts, but no dialogue from 5.1. Note that it's also quite common for some broadcasts that show as 5.1 to actually be 2.0 mixes with the dialogue in the main channels, so it may throw off the diagnosis.
Go through the Sony's setup procedure again, particularly the part with the pink-noise test-tone in each channel and make sure your channel assignments and levels are set up right.

Bob

bobhaze said:
Your problem description sounds as if your center channel signal is cutting out. This would not be caused by a bad optical cable, and is unlikely to be the 622. A bad cable will lose signal completely, or you will get intermittent lock and the entire signal will come and go.
Losing the center channel will cause a loss of dialogue only on program material with a true 5.1 mix, so its quite possible that you'll get good sound from DD 2.0 or 2.1 broadcasts, but no dialogue from 5.1. Note that it's also quite common for some broadcasts that show as 5.1 to actually be 2.0 mixes with the dialogue in the main channels, so it may throw off the diagnosis.
Go through the Sony's setup procedure again, particularly the part with the pink-noise test-tone in each channel and make sure your channel assignments and levels are set up right.

Bob

Yeah.. that makes sense. I don't think I fully followed when I first read; if voices are failing, but not background, it definitely sounds like the center channel. I wasn't thinking so clearly.

In addition to the Sony setup tests, you might also check the cable you are using from the receiver to the center channel. Make sure its connected firmly, and doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it.

Aint trouble-shooting fun? :)

bobhaze said:

You nailed it! :up I ran the test-tone and it immediately identified that somehow one of my center channel wires was pulled out of the socket. Little bit of a duh moment for me because I never thought to look at that, but I'm happy as the problem is solved!

Thanks everyone for the posts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts