622 L3.57 Software Release Notes

Well my perfect HDMI connection from 622 to my HP 5060 Plasma is no longer perfect
since the update.

I was watching the HD channel talking about NASA launching GOES N, all of sudden the sound disappered. Other HD/SD channels are fine. Did a hard reset, everything is restored. Switched to Monster HD, after view a while, the picture freeze, but the sound continues. Tried to switch to other channels. The 622 just freeze. Had to hard reset the second time (less than an hour apart).

What is wrong with this update?

If what they fixed is the loudness problem with the SD as opposed to HD channels, then while minor, it is welcome.

I regularly notice that when I am listening /watching a HD channel in 5.1, I need to have my sony receiver at a volume of about 30; yet if I switch to a SD channel, the volume is considerably louder.

I just did a small test and while the SD channels are still a bit louder, it does seem to be better - and I did not feel the need to immediately reach for the remote to lower the volume on the receiver.

I agree this is a small problem, but I am glad to have it fixed.

michaelgizzi said:
If what they fixed is the loudness problem with the SD as opposed to HD channels, then while minor, it is welcome.

I regularly notice that when I am listening /watching a HD channel in 5.1, I need to have my sony receiver at a volume of about 30; yet if I switch to a SD channel, the volume is considerably louder.

I just did a small test and while the SD channels are still a bit louder, it does seem to be better - and I did not feel the need to immediately reach for the remote to lower the volume on the receiver.

I agree this is a small problem, but I am glad to have it fixed.

This has nothing to do with the channel. A 5.1 channel source requires a lot more power from your receiver to power the 5 speakers plus subwoofer to obtain the same volume level that a standard def channel (stereo) would require for just two speakers. So if you are switching from high def to standard (5+1 speakers to 2 speakers), you will typically always have to adjust the volume.

My first post and it is regarding the word "robust"

I am curious as to the meaning, or who 1st used the word "robust" in reference to the word audio. It appears that the entire explanation of the 357 update hinges on just what does that word mean.
Is this word that Dish itself uses?
Thanks for any help and I am looking forward to watching this fourm.
Dave.

Let's not jump the gun on the revision letter thing. We don't even know if the letter actually represents a change to the hardware.

It's just something to consider. bhelms swapout will be an interesting data point.

Even if the letters don't represent an intended change in the hardware, it's there to defreciate for some reason. Like someone mentioned, even if they're only different manufactures, there could still be some little anomoly associated with the different versions that goes unnoticed except with certain software changes.

Simply put, there has to be some explanition for why some units have certain problems and others don't.

ChetK said:
Has anybody actually experienced any video stuttering wince the update? I haven't. I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or what.

yes, i got some stuttering last night on multiple channels.

I agree with Walt, there must be some explanation for the differences in what folks here are experiencing with their 622's. I've had mine for about 4-5 weeks now and couldn't be more pleased with it. I really liked my 942 and this box is like my 942 never left. It's solid, reliable and dependable. I no complaints about the box itself (HD on 129 is a different issue).

David_Levin said:
Let's not jump the gun on the revision letter thing. We don't even know if the letter actually represents a change to the hardware...
That's true, I have noticed that waltinvt tends to fan the flames on conspiracy theories ;)

hey walt, did you happen to catch any of the interesting programs on the "learning channels" (NTGEO, SCIEN, etc.) this weekend?

Anyway, I agree that the lettering system symbolizes something different about each version... but, what?

I am sick of the freezes and reboots. I am on the second machine doing the same crap. I called Dish and they wouldn't exchange it anymore. I called two different times with different techs, and they said they couldn't help me. They will send a tech out on the 27th, because they think it's my wiring! WTF?:mad: :mad: :mad:

That's their standard blahblahblah anymore. Either they never heard of it, or it's your wiring. They don't bother anymore, neither do they exchange 622's either. Stuff like this and spontaneous reboots are not an real issue to anymore. That's what they told me on the phone. They'll send a tech, which won't find anything wrong with the wiring and that's it. Both tech support reps told me that there's nothing they can do for me. They said there's nothing wrong with the receiver. They said that it's probably the grounding. They also said that the receiver FIXES ITSELF with the reboots!!!!! So every time the receiver reboots, it FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!! I SWEAR that's what they told me!

WTF???

ralfyguy said:
That's their standard blahblahblah anymore. Either they never heard of it, or it's your wiring. They don't bother anymore, neither do they exchange 622's either. Stuff like this and spontaneous reboots are not an real issue to anymore. That's what they told me on the phone. They'll send a tech, which won't find anything wrong with the wiring and that's it. Both tech support reps told me that there's nothing they can do for me. They said there's nothing wrong with the receiver. They said that it's probably the grounding. They also said that the receiver FIXES ITSELF with the reboots!!!!! So every time the receiver reboots, it FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!! I SWEAR that's what they told me!

WTF???

I don't doubt you are having these problems and I definitely sympathize. But just to offer some balance- I have not had one single reboot with my 622. Not even one! I have seen no freezes and no signal drops and I've had the unit since early March. The only problem I've experienced was with the sound not syncing up occasionally during recorded programs but that appears to have been fixed. There may also be a small problem developing with my HDMI port but that may not be related to the 622 (will monitor it though given the known issues with it).

I am pretty sure saying it's the 'wiring' is just a stall tactic on their end. But given the fact that someone like myself has had none of the issues you have seen on two different units, it makes me think there may be something else going on. Not sure what though :( . Good luck with it and keep us posted on the results.

Last edited:
Thanks sonnyboy. I wish I had your receiver. The tech will come out on the 27th and he won't find anything. This is my 2nd receiver, and both were running fine for about 3 weeks when the problems started. Nothing has been changed on the wiring etc. This should already tell, that having a tech coming out is sensless. Other that checking connections and stuff, what's he gonna do? Sitting there with me, watching HD programming for I don't know how long til it reboots? YES HD programming, because it won't do it on SD programming! So what's this got to do with the wiring? And the, after the tech is done and couldn't find anything, yet after he left and the receiver still does it? What then? This is NO solution! I'll wait until the tech comes and bullshits around for a little bit, and he's gonna leave without any solution, I'll call again, and if they still won't replace it, I'll call the CEO office and raise hell! I got the number! I gladly pay for my service, but this is like having a new car that has to go to the shop all the time. Same difference, you'd be all over the car stealership's heads too.

ralfyguy said:
And the, after the tech is done and couldn't find anything, yet after he left and the receiver still does it? What then?

Have the tech call E* for you and recommend that you get a new receiver.

Also, I haven't gone back to read the entire thread, but is your receiver in an enclosed area? What kind of temperatures are you getting? Perhaps that's part of the problem. Maybe fans will help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts