622 L3.57 Software Release Notes

dude2 said:
I am curious as to the meaning, or who 1st used the word "robust" in reference to the word audio. It appears that the entire explanation of the 357 update hinges on just what does that word mean.
Is this word that Dish itself uses?
Thanks for any help and I am looking forward to watching this fourm.
Dave.
Welcome Dude2! I don't think "robust" is anything more than E*'s choice of an adjective to emphasize their having made audio more "resilient", i.e., less problem prone, with the update. Based on other information coming from E*, you can choose to believe it or not. Apparently, based on some posts in this thread, it did indeed "fix" some audio problems for some folks, so there may be some truth to that description. The question remains, is that all that was addressed with 3.57...?

Today, at 4:37pm, my 622 did it's first anomalous "thing". The picture froze in a weird, interlaced pattern and the box rebooted a moment later, without any intervention/action from me.

It came back up on it's own about a minute later, acquired a satellite (119) and resumed the movie on the channel it was on when it rebooted.

Nothing was different about it's environmental conditions and the room temp was around 73 degrees. It hasn't done anything else unusual since then, which is almost 3 hours ago as of my typing this post.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for any more unusual activity...

long_time_DNC said:
Today, at 4:37pm, my 622 did it's first anomalous "thing". The picture froze in a weird, interlaced pattern and the box rebooted a moment later, without any intervention/action from me.

It came back up on it's own about a minute later, acquired a satellite (119) and resumed the movie on the channel it was on when it rebooted.

Nothing was different about it's environmental conditions and the room temp was around 73 degrees. It hasn't done anything else unusual since then, which is almost 3 hours ago as of my typing this post.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for any more unusual activity...
Can you go to the "counters" screen and tell me what the watchdogs say? Line 1 thru 8?

long_time_DNC said:
1) Latest Watchdog Type: 4
2) Kernel Panic CNT: 0
3) OS Monitor WD CNT: 0 : 0
4) MiniWatchdogs: 0
5) AC PWR/HW WD CNT: 4
6) Boot Recoveries: 0
7) Queue Filled: 0
8) Queue ID: 0

Any of that help any?
Well the watchdog in line 1 is at 4, which shows there's a software/hardware conflict going on. This probably means, that the reboots gonna get more frequent, it may not. I wouldn't be surprised. You will see the next time it reboots, that line 4 will go to 1 and cause even more frequent reboots. This is what mine was doing and it will get so annoying, that you need to RA it. But they're not as friendly about this anymore, because I tried several times and they said that when the receiver crashes and reboots, it simply fixes itself again 'til the next reboot. So they considered this as normal behaviour, however they will send a tech out to check your wiring, because it's gotta be something wrong with it. Iam waiting for my tech to come out on saturday, which will probably find nothing wrong, and I'll have to live with this behaviour from then on, because they said, that the receiver will fix itself with all those reboots. This is E*'s version of "High Tech". So I think this "self repair function" is pretty sophisticated, and no other company has this "feature" on their boxes. Isn't life great?;)

ralfyguy said:
Well the watchdog in line 1 is at 4, which shows there's a software/hardware conflict going on. This probably means, that the reboots gonna get more frequent, it may not. I wouldn't be surprised. You will see the next time it reboots, that line 4 will go to 1 and cause even more frequent reboots. This is what mine was doing and it will get so annoying, that you need to RA it. But they're not as friendly about this anymore, because I tried several times and they said that when the receiver crashes and reboots, it simply fixes itself again 'til the next reboot. So they considered this as normal behaviour, however they will send a tech out to check your wiring, because it's gotta be something wrong with it. Iam waiting for my tech to come out on saturday, which will probably find nothing wrong, and I'll have to live with this behaviour from then on, because they said, that the receiver will fix itself with all those reboots. This is E*'s version of "High Tech". So I think this "self repair function" is pretty sophisticated, and no other company has this "feature" on their boxes. Isn't life great?;)

Did you get that information from a tech or just from your experience? I ask because I have a brand new 622 (less than two weeks installed) and it has 4 in the first line and 1 in the 4th. It rebooted once before the software update, but haven't had any other problems.

My wiring was checked/replaced about a year ago when I suddenly lost 110 and couldn't get it back, not even with a matrix reset (power off/unplug, disconnect from sat cable, plug it back in, do a check switch, power off/unplug, reconnect, do a check switch). The tech tried a matrix reset too...same result - 110 still missing. He replaced the old coax and did a check switch and 110 was back. Why it was still getting 119 but not 110, he couldn't explain. It made no sense to me either...

Anyway, my 622 has been quite stable posting of it's reboot on this past Monday (05/22). No additional reboots, no weird interlacing images. Of course, 129 programming is the same ol' stuff...watchable in 20-minute segments...that's a real annoyance...

ralfyguy said:
Self experience. But I don't say it will get worse for sure. It may not. I just say what mine did. I might have been just mine.
ON a Rev. C 622, I've had line 1 at 4 and line 5 at 5 for a few weeks... Almost all of the reboots I initiated, trying to resolve the missing OTA DVR timers thing :)mad:). Anyway, my 622's been stable and am hoping it remains that way.

Allin4greeN said:
ON a Rev. C 622, I've had line 1 at 4 and line 5 at 5 for a few weeks... Almost all of the reboots I initiated, trying to resolve the missing OTA DVR timers thing :)mad:). Anyway, my 622's been stable and am hoping it remains that way.
I saw you got a Harmony 676. How does this thing work with all your equipment? I was thinking about getting a Harmony.

ralfyguy said:
I saw you got a Harmony 676. How does this thing work with all your equipment? I was thinking about getting a Harmony.
It works great, I love it! :up

I got it when I still had my 942 and I didn't have to change a single setting when the 622 came along. It uses all the same macro and discrete command codes. With the "Activity" commands I set up, one button is all it takes to turn on and establish settings for all devices involved in an activity, like watching a DVD or DishHD channel. One button to turn 'em all off too. :D

I do have some minor problems controlling my Sirius radio receiver but, all-in-all I'd buy this thing again in a heartbeat.

ralfyguy said:
I just set up a Harmony 880. It does it all and has self help feature that fixes things if they don't work just as they were set up. That being said, I still use my 622 remote for general tv watching, recording, watching recordings, etc. But when starting or shutting off my equipment I use the 880, any adjustments to other then 622 I use 880 and it has all the controls for all my equiptment.

Last edited:
Dirtydan said:
...That being said, I still use my 622 remote for general tv watching, recording, watching recorings, etc...
It took some time during the initial set-up but, I got the 676 to control every nuance on my equipment. I haven't touched another remote since I got the Harmony.

ralfyguy said:
So y'alls Harmony controls all the functions of the 622 also?
Yeppers, and if I find some function that doesn't work I can input it from 622 remote, have not found a missing function yet.

gdarwin said:
One code to turn it on, another to turn it off.
Thanks, that is what I thought, I have had no reason to check on discrete codes as my 880 is doing everything I need it to do. Why would you want to use discretes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts