622 L3.60 software - Slow Channel Changing?

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
622 L3.60 software - Slow Channel Changing? (also see poll)

For everyone who has confirmed download of L3.60: What effect have you noticed with regard to the speed of changing channels? More specifically, the time required for video to appear after you have selected a channel?

Last edited:
I notice a little delay but no more that on the last version(of course I've only had mine a week). I know on my HD Tivo it would take a couple seconds and I was told it was because it has to spool a couple seconds of video so you can pause.

Mike

It's always been slow, it kind of hard to tell when it gets slower, unless it just stops. :)

A little while ago TV1 Output had video stuttering on either a Nick or Disney channel. The kids were watching TV and then I picked up the remote and went into Guide (with picture) and looked around for a little while. Then when I cancelled Guide to get the full picture for the kids, the picture stuttered. I used the remote to turn off TV1, then turned it back on and it has been okay since.
NOTE: I don't recall having stutter before (unless I was drinking).

I have noticed maybe a slightly perceptible longer time to display the picture.

They may have had to increase the buffer for picture in order to solve the stutter problem.

All digital tuners have a slight delay before the picture is displayed because once the channel is tuned, the decoder must accumilate enough data to put a viewable picture on the screen.

For me it seems to have gone from about 3/4 of a second to about 1 second before the picture is displayed, but it can never be instantaneous as it was with analog because of the nature of digital transmissions - it is a fact we must live with.

On Channel 100, under the Weather icon, I had a bunch of favorite cities (uplink sites) so that I could check the weather at those locations. Today I went to Channel 100 to see what the weather was and it was like I had never set it up.

A few days ago, I also noticed that the SAP language for TV1 had changed from Korean to Italian, and a couple of weeks ago, it changed from Korean to some other language that I also don't know (maybe English:) ). It is possible someone in the family wanted to see what makes the thing tick, but I think it did it on its own, but after this upgrade it was still Korean as I had it set for.

SmityWhity said:
On Channel 100, under the Weather icon, I had a bunch of favorite cities (uplink sites) so that I could check the weather at those locations. Today I went to Channel 100 to see what the weather was and it was like I had never set it up.

Same thing happened to me. I think there were some updates to Dish Interactive. I know it was very buggy in the last release. I would often have to reboot after checking the weather. No big deal really. I just set it back to what I had it to in the past.

The channel changing speed doesn't seem any slower to me. To be honest, I rarely browse through channels anyhow. I always use the channel guide and only select the show that I might be interested in. However, there has been so much good content lately, that I'm trying to watch a lot of recorded content. Therefore, I don't really watch live TV anymore. Anyway, I said all of this to really make the point that I don't do much channel surfing. I pick shows I've already recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)