622 Launching Feb. 1st - same price as 942

iKramerica said:
So with HD locals coming to many markets, the only drawback of having only one HDOTA tuner is that you couldn't record TWO OTA HD channels at the same time, and that means you'd want to record TWO programs not on network (Dish Local HD) at once.

I can't see that happening more than once in my lifetime.
I run into this quite frequently now with my 942. An example would be last night, I wanted to record the new episodes of Scrubs (NBC) and the Orange Bowl Game (ABC) OTA. BTW, We Are Penn State! :up Anyway, I've found that I can't even record one OTA channel while viewing another (always in Single Mode), at least for HD stuff. I've assumed that this is because there is only one OTA tuner... unless someone can point out that I'm doing something wrong? Hopefully with the 622 and HD locals on the way, that will change... I'm in the Philly market, so it shouldn't be too long a wait, I hope :hungry:

SpenceJT said:
Okay here is a question - say you set up in dual tuner mode, record programming from both TV1 and TV2, can either of these outputs see "all" content on the hard drive (recorded by either side of the dual tuner system)?
Question #2 - if in dual tuner mode, both TV1 and TV2 are independent of each other (i.e. one cannot see the other's recorded content), can the receiver be switched back into single tuner mode and retain all recorded programming from both tuners?
Inquiring mind/s want to know?!

I would assume that it is like the 942 where you can see all content from both tuners. And you can change from single to dual user mode at any time.

Allin4greeN said:
I run into this quite frequently now with my 942. An example would be last night, I wanted to record the new episodes of Scrubs (NBC) and the Orange Bowl Game (ABC) OTA. BTW, We Are Penn State! :up Anyway, I've found that I can't even record one OTA channel while viewing another (always in Single Mode), at least for HD stuff. I've assumed that this is because there is only one OTA tuner... unless someone can point out that I'm doing something wrong? Hopefully with the 622 and HD locals on the way, that will change... I'm in the Philly market, so it shouldn't be too long a wait, I hope :hungry:

No, you are correct, since there is only 1 OTA tuner you can only watch OR record 1 OTA signal at a time. The only exception to this is you can watch a previously recorded OTA program and record another at the same time.

SpenceJT said:
Okay here is a question - say you set up in dual tuner mode, record programming from both TV1 and TV2, can either of these outputs see "all" content on the hard drive (recorded by either side of the dual tuner system)?
Question #2 - if in dual tuner mode, both TV1 and TV2 are independent of each other (i.e. one cannot see the other's recorded content), can the receiver be switched back into single tuner mode and retain all recorded programming from both tuners?
Inquiring mind/s want to know?!

Q1: Don't confuse the TV1 and TV2 tuners you see for recording with the TV1 and TV2 (decoder) outputs. You're actually recording on Tuner1 and Tuner2, each saving it's data stream to the HDD. Both the TV1 and TV2 decoders can use anything recorded on the HDD for output.

Q2: TV1 and TV2 are outputs and not recorders (in my little construct) and as in Q1, each has access to any recorded content on the HDD--whether it was tuned by Tuner1 (shown as TV1 in the DVR menus) or Tuner2 (TV2) or TunerOTA(TV1) for that matter.

Allin4greeN said:

I was in the same boat, wanting to timeshift the game and record Scrubs, both require the single OTA tuner.

But given that Scrubs is not in HD, and I get my locals on sat, it didn't bother me to use a sat tuner to record it from the sat feed.

If I had my locals via analog OTA tuner, I could have found out if the digital tuner is separate from the analog tuner--then I could have used the OTA analog tuner to record (or view) Scrubs while recording the game.

-sc

lakebum431 said:
No, you are correct, since there is only 1 OTA tuner you can only watch OR record 1 OTA signal at a time. The only exception to this is you can watch a previously recorded OTA program and record another at the same time.
...and since watching a previously recorded OTA program no longer requires the OTA tuner--only decoding content from the HDD at that point--it isn't really an exception. ;)

-sc

Thanks much for the replies. Glad to hear I didn't screw something up with my OTA set-up. :D I also ended up recording Scrubs via the sat channel last night. OTA is always much cleaner than my SD sat channels, and I thought Scrubs might be in HD, so...

scottrell said:
...and since watching a previously recorded OTA program no longer requires the OTA tuner--only decoding content from the HDD at that point--it isn't really an exception. ;)
-sc

Very true, just trying to prevent the next possible question :)

For those who need more hammering in:
Because both the satellite tuners are "the same", they get used when they're available -- our 322 almost regularly switches which tuner which TV gets depending on which one TV is active and which isn't and what's in queue to be recorded (with VCR but dish box timers).
You can figure out (and choose) what tuner TV1 or TV2 is getting by choosing it in the point dish screen. Of course, you'll also see the signal level of said tuner (if you go to TV1 which is say, using tuner 1, and you switch to tuner 2 but TV2 is using it -- it'll take TV2 to the black screen with the floating dish logo until you "turn on" TV2 which will take up tuner 1 which isn't being used by TV1!)
Confusing eh? :D
I just can't figure out why they didn't make an internal splitter in the receiver and give it 2 OTA tuners :| (the 622/942, anyway)

The VIP622 DVR will record up to 180 hours of SD and up to 25 hours of HD or a combination of the two. It also records off-air digital/HD broadcasts.

The VIP222 and VIP622 DVR will support DISH Comm technology which will allow phone and audio data to be sent throughout the home over existing power wiring.

You will be able to do recorded event archiving. You will be able to store recorded standard and high definition programming from the VIP622 and 942 receivers on any compatible USB hard drive. You will be able to create video libraries without tapes or DVDs. It will use rapid USB 2.0 transfer. You will be able to transfer it back to the DVR to view archived content.

source: http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showfull.php?photo=62

Stargazer said:
You will be able to do recorded event archiving. You will be able to store recorded standard and high definition programming from the VIP622 and 942 receivers on any compatible USB hard drive. You will be able to create video libraries without tapes or DVDs. It will use rapid USB 2.0 transfer. You will be able to transfer it back to the DVR to view archived content.

I guess this means we can download our 942's before switching to a 622...

Stargazer said:
The VIP622 DVR will record up to 180 hours of SD and up to 25 hours of HD or a combination of the two. It also records off-air digital/HD broadcasts.
The VIP222 and VIP622 DVR will support DISH Comm technology which will allow phone and audio data to be sent throughout the home over existing power wiring.
I'm glad they finally decided to let us download to Hard Drives. This will be great since HD takes up to much space for just a small hard drive that it comes with. I wish I had the money to buy one of those 1 terabyte hard drives.:)

BrettTRay said:
I'm glad they finally decided to let us download to Hard Drives. This will be great since HD takes up to much space for just a small hard drive that it comes with. I wish I had the money to buy one of those 1 terabyte hard drives.:)
Agreed... :bounce
gdarwin said:
argh!...I've only had the 942 for a few months, could I have been using the USB port to download and archive to an external HDD? Or will this be L284...?

Last edited:
gdarwin said:

Very good point. I wish we could do that with our other DVR's too. I wonder why we will be able to do it with the 942 but not the 522/625/721?

Allin4greeN said:
Agreed... :bounce argh!...I've only had the 942 for a few months, could I have been using the USB port to download and archive to an external HDD?

They have to put software in the receiver to support the external hard drives.

Another reciever featuring DISH Comm. AFAIK, no receiver actively uses this, though the 622 isnt't the first to have the feature.

And unless I'm mistaken, it's basically only useful for households with more than one receiver where at least one can be plugged into a phone line. Doesn't help out the folks with one receiver looking for a way to wirelessly reach their phone jack.

Last edited:
Another reciever featuring DISH Comm. AFAIK, no receiver actively uses this, though the 622 isnt't the first to have the feature.
And unless I'm mistaken, it's basically only useful for households with more than one receiver where at least one can be plugged into a phone line. Doesn't help out the folks with one receiver looking for a way to wirelessly reach their phone jack.
Stargazer said:
Another tech bulletin about TIB on VoIP (voice over IP). Improving receiver modem connection through VoIP phone system.
Any details on this? TIB?

Stargazer said:
Very good point. I wish we could do that with our other DVR's too. I wonder why we will be able to do it with the 942 but not the 522/625/721?
Go here and download the product spec for those three DVRs:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml
You will find that they all have USB 1.1. There isn't enough bandwidth to do a transfer in a reasonable amount of time. The 721 has an "expansion port", also found on older DVRs for "future use". It was never used, same thing with the firewire ports on the early production 921s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)