622 looks like crap on new 65" plasma

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

K4LK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
My DVR is connected to my new Panasonic display using HDMI through my Av receiver. Everything looks stunning except Dish. When set to 1080i the on-screen guide and graphics look awful. Video is reasonable. I set it to 720p. It looks a lot better now. Can't believe that dish does not support 1080p.

Thanks,
Dana

DISH (and DIRECTV) both support 1080p but only when its getting a 1080p signal (and so far all 1080p is PPV from both services)

Try plugging in your 622 directly into the TV and see if that makes a difference. I had a Panasonic receiver that screwed with the PQ... and took it back to the store. :)

I have a Panasonic plasma and it looks stunning on my 722k, especially after I tweaked the settings on the Panasonic.

As to 1080p, well if you've been reading here, there is damned little of that via sattelite other than PPV.

Something to check is what is doing the conversion to 1080p? Your plasma is 1080p and that is the only actual res it shows, either by the TV doing the conversion, or your AV doing it. Try to see if you can set your AV to do the conversion, or if it already is, change that to not convert and let the TV do it.

Then go look at AVSForums in the plasma forums and see if someone has offsets made for your particular model. Mine was there and it made a huge difference in quality of picture from all sources.

622 DOES support 1080p, but just like the 722/722k and 922, the only 1080p Dish provides is PPV.

NOTHING broadcast live is 1080p, and in fact no receivers Dish or DirecTV will output 1080p off live satellite feeds.

HD satellite feed on DIsh receivers is either 1080i or 720p, depending on how you set up the receiver.

If your display is 1080p the TV itself will take the 1080i or 720p signal it receives from the receiver and display it full frame by full frame, not really progressive, but definitely not interlaced either.

My DVR is connected to my new Panasonic display using HDMI through my Av receiver. Everything looks stunning except Dish. When set to 1080i the on-screen guide and graphics look awful. Video is reasonable. I set it to 720p. It looks a lot better now. Can't believe that dish does not support 1080p.

Thanks,
Dana

I have the VIP722 (non k) and it only supports 1080p via the VOD ppv, it does not support 1080p for any other vod's or channels. Mine looks crisp on my 73" dlp at 720p Upscaled to 1080p

You could try to adjust the picture on your tv, it could be the brightness/contrast/sharpness is off on the tv.
If you hook up a device with an upscaler (Denon A/V receiver AVR-2310ci is what I use, or Onkyo TX-SR875, or a Video Processor). It has the ability to upconvert a 480i picture to a 1080p picture. Watching a 480p upscaled to 1080p does look good, but not as high of quality of say a 720p picture upscaled to a 1080p picture. If you by chance use one of these I have found from personal experience to upscale a 720p picture to 1080p instead of a 1080i picture to 1080p. The bandwith is about the same on a 720p picture and 1080i picture, but converting it has to do more work converting an interlaced picture to progressive.

A/V Receivers with upscalers aren't priced badly, you could get one with a "descent/good" upscaler for about $400. If you decide to get one I can make suggestions, but if you are not looking to spend any extra money it is a moot point.

Your TV already upscales everything to 1080p, so I wouldn't worry about another scaler in the mix. But if you see such a huge difference between 720p and 1080i then something is not set up right. As others mentioned start by connecting tv directly to tv. My guess is it is your AV receiver messing with the picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts