622 max number of local channels is 69?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tdillon

Loster then I Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 9, 2004
I have the 622 DVR box hooked up to two 500 dishes pointed at 110, 119 and 129. I also have a high quality Winegard antenna hooked up for the local digital channels. Post DIGITAL CONVERSION, there are now over 80 digital locals available in the greater Los Angeles area just on top of Mt Wilson alone. When I scan the channels on the 622 box it won't recognize any more channels once the channel count gets to 69. (all right, since it adds all of the subchannels to the count at once while scanning a base channel, it will sometimes show 71 or 72 channels in the count, but after the scan if you count what is mapped, it only has 69 channels).
Is this a shortcoming in the amount of memory that the 622 has for channel mapping? On my HDTV using ATSC when I scan the channels I get 84 local digital channels hooked up to the same OTA antenna. I would like the 622 to see the same channels, but it appears that it may not be able to map all of the channels.

That is a problem I wish I had!!! Interesting though. Have you contacted Dish about this problem? There aren't many of us that can test your theory because of what we have available.

It only scans channels 2-69, so perhaps that is why. Perhaps you can manually add the missing channels in. I did a manual entry on a channel that didn't have a strong enough signal at one time.

What happens if you try to manually do it?

84 FREE local channels!

Tell me why you still have and are paying for Dish Network?

Since the digital changeover, we now only get 4 local channels consistently, and 3 of those are ALL the same network (CBS)! That takes a very large antenna on a 30ft tower, with an amplifier, and a rotor to turn and aim at them...

We LOST a bunch of channels, because of going digital. They all lowered their power so far, it's impossible to receive them anymore.

Are you sure of that?

I looked up your area in both antennaweb.org & TV fool. I can't find any 80 channels that you state. I think you are confusing channels & sub-channels. What I found was around 30 (and they aren't all coming from Mt. Wilson). Now they may break up to more than 30 since neither of the above show the sub-channels. I fell that some of the channels that you are getting on the DTV box are not really from LA but also from other areas. The thing is the 622 tuner is probably not as sensitive as the OTA box you are talking about. You need to realize that the design of the 622 is several years older than most of the newer OTA boxes. It also has more of a problem with multi-path than maybe your other box does.

It does appear to be a tuner sensitivity problem, instead of a hard count cap. By stepping through each channel and just mapping the subchannels on one base channel at a time I see that the 622 only sees a total of 72 subchannels. When I do a full scan, it must step through the channels faster, and thus only catches 69 of them that way. My tv with an internal tuner is more sensitive and finds 84 total subchannels.

As far as having a lot of free OTA channels, this is an ethnically wide market segment. I don't speak a lot of the languages of the programming available here. Only 12 to 16 of the subchannels contain content that might get viewed in my household.

I'm pretty sure that channel number assignments for television spectrum stops at 69. Can anyone name a TV station who's broadcast channel is 70 or higher ?

The 622/722/722k all scan for the primary channel assignment number. I get 6 or 7 "stations" but almost 20 "channels".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts