622 & MPEG4 HD quality?

T. Perinne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Houston, TX
If I upgrade my 942 to the new 622 and one of the new MPEG4 packages, will I see an improvement in my HD quality? The quality of my current Voom channels has really declined since I first subscribed over year ago... only Discovery HD Theater looks just as good as it first did.

I hear that TWC doesn't compress their HD signal and was hoping that Dish might do the same since going MPEG4.

Also, will SD quality improve? I hate the picture on FSN SouthWest when watching my Astros games, this is on a new 62" DLP - I'm not going to stop watching MLB but I sure wish SD looked better from Dish as well as HD.

Thanks.

The only true MPEG4 channels would be your locals if they are available,(the rest are MPEG2 flagged to MPEG4) I have a 622 and a 921, the 622 has sharper PQ on all the HD and SD channels Imho...but you still are watching over compressed SD so... I will watch my Astros on FSN SW also...

Will content from Dish always be compressed as we see it today, will it change soon since we're "supposedly" MPEG4? Or is current picture quality what to expect from Dish for the forseeable future?

That fact alone makes me envious of TWC when I hear they throughput HD without altering the signal, and I see reviews that SD quality is much better than satellite also.

Not to mention that in Houston TWC has all but one of my locals in HD available right now, D* has three HD locals available right now, and who knows what "HD locals available second quarter '06" in Dish talk translates to in real time!

I have to evaluate a switch to TWC or maybe even D* since there wouldn't be much more effort/money involved vs. the upgrade process to a 622 and new Dish subscription package.

Keep the faith with Dish or jump ship?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)