622 - My latest "duuhhh" moment !!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
OK - Had my latest "blonde" moment yesterday (and I'm mostly gray!) You know from my other posts that I have been doing a lot of experimenting lately. Yesterday I tried to call wifey at home and the line was busy all day. Not unusual - she often takes/leaves the phone off the hook. But my son also noticed the problem and couldn't see anything obvious. I have about 15 connections into my phone line - phones, modems, IRDs, etc. They all work, but with occasional problems. "Walkabouts" checking all those connections can sometimes be very frustrating!

When I got home I had the brilliant thought to check the phone connection to my 622 first since I have been recently working there, and - voila! - I had accidentally plugged the RJ-11 plug into the data port. That rendered my entire phone system completely DEAD - not just "off the hook"/no dial tone. Once the plug was removed and reinserted into the correct socket, the phone system was OK again, including the 622's dial-out connection.

The question: Have I done any damage to the 622 with this little f**k-up? I scanned a few screens and nothing seemed amiss. Maybe those two center conductors in the data connector are both ground (hope?) such that the phone connection would be rendered dead but no damaging phone-line voltages would be present on the data lines (??)

Can anyone give me any hope here? I don't know much about phone or data connections...

TIA and BRgds...

I made the same mistake with my 211 and haven't seen any problems with the receiver. On the other hand, the phone in the living room (receiver and phone share the same outlet) began to give me problems like lots of static, noise and drop calls. It was a Panasonic 900 Mhz that I purchased just 4 yrs. ago. I just replaced it with a new Panasonic 2.4 Ghz.

Don't really know if there was any relation to plugging the phone line into the Data port of the 211 though.

Ethernet uses connectors 1,2,3 and 6.

4 and 5 (the middle ones) are probably either grounded (622) or no connection (211).

I am basing that statement on the previous posts, where plugging the phone line to a 622 ethernet port killed the phone line, and didn't on a 211.

Correct - the RJ-11/RJ-45 design provides that the center pair is analog (POTS/voice) line 1.

However, power over ethernet applications often use that pair - hopefully just for ground, but ya never know. ;)

Tks for the replies! Sounds like the middle connections 4 and 5 are indeed grounded (or at least connected together) as my unintentional experiment verified!

If anything I might have toasted my ethernet connection out of the 622, but it now sounds like that won't be activated anyway.

BRgds and have a great week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts