622 needs a software update!

Supercharged_Z06

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Come'n DISH! My HDMI port is still DEAD. Where's that promised "real soon now" software update that the DISH engineers were supposed to come out with sometime in Oct.... no, wait Nov... no wait Dec, errr... "real soon now"

It's been over three months since L3.65 was released! I want my HDMI port back. (And I'm tired of manually having to switch my component cables between my two HD TV's!)

And when can we hook up and use external hard drives for storage with the USB port!?! Why the delays!? Arrrrgghhhhhh!

I really HATE how DISH gives us almost ZERO info on what the hell is going on.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent here. I feel a little better now. :rolleyes:

Come'n DISH! My HDMI port is still DEAD. Where's that promised "real soon now" software update that the DISH engineers were supposed to come out with sometime in Oct.... no, wait Nov... no wait Dec, errr... "real soon now"

It's been over three months since L3.65 was released! I want my HDMI port back. (And I'm tired of manually having to switch my component cables between my two HD TV's!)

And when can we hook up and use external hard drives for storage with the USB port!?! Why the delays!? Arrrrgghhhhhh!

I really HATE how DISH gives us almost ZERO info on what the hell is going on.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent here. I feel a little better now. :rolleyes:

The only solution for a working hdmi port, is getting dishnetwork to give you a new vip622. I had two 622 with broken hdmi port and dish replace them both on 11-22-06. So far both new 622 are doing fine. You have to demand a replacement.

They still testing three new versions as for today:
PID: 08BDh, ID: PXTC, FW: BHD1, Model: ViP622
PID: 08BEh, ID: PGTC, FW: BFT1, Model: ViP622
PID: 08BFh, ID: PHTC, FW: BHB1, Model: ViP622

They still testing three new versions as for today:
PID: 08BDh, ID: PXTC, FW: BHD1, Model: ViP622
PID: 08BEh, ID: PGTC, FW: BFT1, Model: ViP622
PID: 08BFh, ID: PHTC, FW: BHB1, Model: ViP622
Do they all contain the all important USB HD support?;)

My HDMI has had two instances where it stopped working for over a week. It now has worked fine for over months straight. I have no concrete explanation. I thought perhaps a software update may have fixed it.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but it may help. I drive my 2 HD TVs with this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1042205&p_id=2899&seq=1&format=2&style=

It works great and is cheap enough, rather than having to manually switch cables, which could be far worse for your components.

Heheh... thanks LASooner,

That's actually a great solution! (I researched and came up with the exact same idea about 2 months ago.) It really looked like it was going to fix my problem - but all it did was make the connectors a little bit more accessible and easier to reach. Here's my splitter:

IMG_1601.JPG

However, I still have to manually connect and disconnect. The reason is that the component cable run going upstairs is about 25 feet in length and if both component cables are hooked up to the splitter at the same time, the upstairs TV doesn't get enough of a signal through the run to keep the picture from breaking up. The other cable I use is only 8 feet and works great regardless, but the upstairs TV only works through the splitter if it is the only thing hooked to it.

Ideally, when my HDMI port was working, I would use it to feed the downstairs TV and the upstairs TV would use the component connection and all was well. As it now stands, I have to swap them out manually whenever I watch downstairs. Granted, it isn't the end of the world, but it is a pain to have a really nice home theater setup with everything completely automated, but have to go behind my rack and fiddle with cables every time I want to watch HD TV downstairs.

I'll hold out until the next 622 software patch comes out - if it doesn't fix the HDMI port, I'll be calling DISH for a new 622.

Cheers!
--Supercharged

I wonder if you could use a component switch....but use it backwards. Have the set of component cables going from the Receiver to the "output" of the switch. Then have one set of cables running from the "input1" of the switch to HDTV#1 and a set running from 'input2' of the switch to HDTV#2. My thoughts were switches (Non-Powered) did nothing more than make a connection between the 'input#' and 'output' but didn't control the flow.

If this would work, than the signal wouldn't be split so no loss of strength. Just hit the switch 'input' to what TV you want to use and you are all set. No messing around behind the TV.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

However, I still have to manually connect and disconnect. The reason is that the component cable run going upstairs is about 25 feet in length and if both component cables are hooked up to the splitter at the same time, the upstairs TV doesn't get enough of a signal through the run to keep the picture from breaking up.

I ran into the same issue so I bought a 4 port component/composite/audio distribution amp (Radio Shack 15-1941). It works very well for the (about) 60 ft. run that I have for the second HDTV. My Sony HD HDD DVR (for cable and OTA) is connected to the HDMI port (I had it before I got the 622) otherwise the 622 would be using it.

Thanks for the tip Bill - that would definitely solve my problem...

But...

If my 622 worked like it is supposed to, I wouldn't have this problem. Dish needs to fix their equipment! I'm hoping a software patch will fix it - if not, then Dish can replace the unit. The Monoprice component splitter was only $6 and I can use it for other stuff.... but my going out and buying a $70 item to work around their problem doesn't make any sense to me - the 622's HDMI port SHOULD work!! Com'on Dish, release a patch already! :hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)