622 No Sound for first 10 minutes

bradb007

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I have had the 622 since the fall. Just in the last week I have had an issue that the 622 will not output sound for the first 10-15 minutes. Without changing anything the sound will then magically reappear.

I'm using a HDMI-DVI cable for video and an optical cable from the 622 to my stereo receiver. I have tried unplugging and replugging everything.

Different channels HD, SD and OTA do not produce sound and from the panel on the front of the Sound Receiver it looks like the 622 isn't sending ANY signal at all.

Any Ideas?

I have had the 622 since the fall. Just in the last week I have had an issue that the 622 will not output sound for the first 10-15 minutes. Without changing anything the sound will then magically reappear.

I'm using a HDMI-DVI cable for video and an optical cable from the 622 to my stereo receiver. I have tried unplugging and replugging everything.

Different channels HD, SD and OTA do not produce sound and from the panel on the front of the Sound Receiver it looks like the 622 isn't sending ANY signal at all.

Any Ideas?

How about the analog output on your 622? Any sound there? Let's eliminate which device is the problem.

I've had this issue, but have never had the patience to wait for the sound to return on its own. A soft reboot will always fix it. On mine, it affects the HDMI, optical digital, and analog outputs. BTW, they are now replacing my DVR for this and one other problem.

Brad

I have seen this issue a couple of times. Turning the audio receiver (not the 622) off and back on again cleared it up. It seems to only be a problem on non-Dolby Digital channels.

I've unplugged and cleaned all the connections and attached some analog cables for testing.. not just waiting for the no sound to happen again to try out some scenarios. Thanks for the input and help guys.. I'll let you know what happens.

After doing some cable switching and testing, I have confirmed it is the onkyo A/V receiver at fault. Guess I'm in for a new one of those. Seriously thinking about punching some holes in the back of my entertainment center and putting in some fans to exhaust the air.

After doing some cable switching and testing, I have confirmed it is the onkyo A/V receiver at fault. Guess I'm in for a new one of those. Seriously thinking about punching some holes in the back of my entertainment center and putting in some fans to exhaust the air.

I understand the desire to punch something... :D

If your center is well enclosed, you would do well to get a few 120mm fans and mount them so that fresh air can be drawn through your equipment.

I have the same problem now. It's a receiver / software issue. I didn't have the problem until L4.05 (last update). L4.05 has actually caused the receiver to be less stable than ever. The Dish programmers are screwing up again.

Well...for me, the moment that L4.05 (last update) was applied, my 622 has had the sound issue as well as system lock-ups when navigating through OTA channels. So I feel confident that the problem is L4.05. For the record, my sound is via TOSLINK fiber to a Panasonic HT set. I have only one VIP622, so I have nothing else to compare too. My two 211 receivers don't have any issues at all.

Have you removed all the OTA channels, rebooted, rescanned and re-added the OTA channels back in to see if that would stop your problems?

Also: are you using an amp on the OTA line? Some people have found that putting a dc block on an amplified OTA line has cleared up their problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)