622 Noisy?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I just got a 622 and am wondering if others have a noisy 622. I never knew my 942 was one and spinning, the 622 is farily obvious, ever during low vlume watching, only with high volume do you not hear it. It make a kind of high to mid level whirring noisy, proabbly HD, but not sure. Getting E* tech support is insane, hold times over 45-60 min.

No it shouldnt be that noisy, are you sure its the hard drive? there is a fan on the bottom and if you flip the receiver on its side that should tell you right there if its the fan that is giving you problems. What I have done to fix this is to simply blow a strong puff of air into the fan vent and then it runs fine after that ( strange but true ) I have had the same issue on a computer fan and found that sometimes the fan casing may not be sitting right and allows for the fan to spin funny causing some harmonics to come about.

I think it is the fan as it seems to happen when the receiver gets hot, I assume the fan is variable based on unit temps? They agreed to send me another 622, hopefully it will be quiter othersie I may need to relocate the receive and find a cool place to put it. Damn thing seems to get hotter than my 942 ever did.

It is a hot-running unit, and yes the fan is variable speed. Check the other major thread on this topic:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186

There are some pictures that show the fan's location. It is not on the bottom, but rather oriented vertically, in about 2" from the vent slots on the right side. Check in particular post 111 in that thread - Mark_AR has done some experimenting and his posts follow that experience and provide photos...

Maybe you should check that the 622 is getting enough ventilation.

If the fan is running that much, maybe it's overheating due to insufficient airflow.

At least 2" all around - including the bottom! Yes, the feet are too short.

If I could find my camera's dang USB cable, I'd post my stack.

Well Dish replaced my 622 and the new one is much quieter. I have 2 inches all around but it is in a rack that has a glas door, so flow through ventialtion is marginal. The ave temp is only around 114, but I do notice that the unit gets hotter when on, telling me the decoder and such must be generating a bit of heat as it appears the drive runs all the time. I am looking into adding a fan to the back of the rack, it is somewhat open now, just need to find something.

kluken said:
Well Dish replaced my 622 and the new one is much quieter. I have 2 inches all around but it is in a rack that has a glas door, so flow through ventialtion is marginal. The ave temp is only around 114, but I do notice that the unit gets hotter when on, telling me the decoder and such must be generating a bit of heat as it appears the drive runs all the time. I am looking into adding a fan to the back of the rack, it is somewhat open now, just need to find something.
I would suggest leaving the door open or put a roast in there with it.

Jim5506 said:
I would suggest leaving the door open or put a roast in there with it.
The back is mosting open, but it does get very warm in there, I need to find some sort of reasonable fan solution. I rememebr seeing somehting that was like a thin box with tubes that exhausted air out the back or entertainment racks, it was not cheap, but i bet it works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts