622 not seeing satellites (110, ?)

CFilkins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Hey, guys...I'm a little miffed tonight, as I went to watch the Sabres game, and I was faced with a "Acquiring signal..." screen. After fussing with things, and resetting the box and running a check switch, the only thing registering is 61.5, which I'm guessing is the secondary dish, right?

I talked to Dish tech support, and they said it was weather related. Well, I can see the stars, so I don't know as it's atmospheric. There is some ice on my dish. The tech said that I'd have to wait until the ice melts. That's funny, because it is February and I live outside of Buffalo, NY...his secondary response was that for $50 he could send a tech to my house. I haven't even had the dish a year yet, and I'm not under a contract, so for the service charge, I'm considering moving in a different direction (either DirecTV or cable).

What do you guys think? Would ice cause the check switch to fail on ports 1 and 2? Is there something else I should be checking before I get fed up and move on?

Chris

Yes, ice can cause loss of signal.

Any recommendations on how to safely remove ice from the dish when it's 10 degrees outside? There is ice hanging from the bottom of the dish, as well as from the LNB.

Chris

I live in South Texas , but read a good idea somewhere on this board, A high wattage light bulb behind the dish will prevent ice from forming and I assume melt it also. I think a outdoor floodlamp would work . There were a lot of idea on the thread , do a search am sure you will find A quick solution. Ten dergrees is something we do not see down here so my advice is all second hand, I hope it at leasts points you in the right direction.

I just poured hot water on mine earlier this year when I had the same problem. You also might just need to do a check switch.

Thanks, guys...I was just pretty miffed at the attitude of the dish tech. I poured a gallon of hot water over the LNB and was able to get the ice free...rebooted the receiver, and it's all good now.

around here we have a lot of high trees and as a result, some dishes mounted pretty high up sometimes. My personal favorite way to take care of this problem is a Super Soaker filled with De-icer :)

Dish wont tell you to do jack as if you went out and fell down trying to melt the ice they would be liable in some form. Charlie doesnt need anymore lawsuits right now. So in some ways I guess I cant blame the CSR. He could have just said it could be the ice though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts