622 OTA Channel Guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mebgardener

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Mebane, NC
The channel guide for every OTA channel has "Digital Service" printed on the new 622. I've tried rescanning and rebooting but I cannot seem to get any listings for the OTA channels. Before upgrading to the 622, the 811 channel guide had listings for the OTA channels. Is there some setting that I don't know about?

Like psumatt said, you have to subscribe to satellite locals for your OTA's to populate with guide info, and even then, only the -01 channels will have listings, the others will just say "digital service" like you're seeing.

If you do have sat locals and just activated your box, it can take from 1 minute to 1 day for your locals to show-up and map down to their actual local numbers.

mebgardener said:
DANG! Why would I subscribe to HD locals if I get it with the OTA?

Because Dish knows that most people will pay the extra $5/month for their locals whether or not they actually need them, just so you can have the guide info for the locals displayed. Otherwise your new DVR is just a glorified VCR.

mebgardener said:
The only advantage to doing both is you enhance your ability to record multiple shows. You can only record 1 local HD channel at a time getting them OTA.

If you get them via sat, you could potentialy record 3 HD locals at once (one OTA and 2 SAT).

So, if you find yourself often wanting to record more than 1 OTA channel at a time and have guide information for your OTA channels, then it's worth $5.99 for the sat locals, if not, then you can stick with OTA locals only.

Personally, I think Dish should at least let folks without locals have the guide info, but - as someone said in another thread - Dish pays for the guide data and wants to pass the cost on to us (with some profit worked-in, I'm sure).

mebgardener said:
Bingo! :eureka:

Ya gotta love it (I'm being facetious) the first time someone realizes the absurdity of some of "E"'s policy decisions.

Because Dish wants to extort another $6 / mo out of you. Why ? Because they can.:devil:

jrfuda said:
<snip>......Personally, I think Dish should at least let folks without locals have the guide info, but - as someone said in another thread - Dish pays for the guide data and wants to pass the cost on to us (with some profit worked-in, I'm sure).

Guide data (along with other digital information) is embedded in what's called the PSIP data stream. PSIP is regulated by the FCC and required to be transmitted by all afiliate stations.

Dish network chooses to restrict access to the EPG part of the PSIP data from some / all of their receivers. I think they may disable it on all their receivers but then pass their own version of epg info to some units (811) free and charge for providing it to others (211, 411, 942 & 622).

It's a classic example of being caught betwix & between. Dish had to provided the ability to receive & record OTA digital to be competative with "D"'s receivers but didn't want subs being so content with OTA that they didn't buy Dish's LiLs package - especially now that they're starting to provide HD LiLs.

waltinvt said:
Guide data (along with other digital information) is embedded in what's called the PSIP data stream. PSIP is regulated by the FCC and required to be transmitted by all afiliate stations.

Dish network chooses to restrict access to the EPG part of the PSIP data from some / all of their receivers. I think they may disable it on all their receivers but then pass their own version of epg info to some units (811) free and charge for providing it to others (211, 411, 942 & 622).

It's a classic example of being caught betwix & between. Dish had to provided the ability to receive & record OTA digital to be competative with "D"'s receivers but didn't want subs being so content with OTA that they didn't buy Dish's LiLs package - especially now that they're starting to provide HD LiLs.

What could be causing, since i do subscribe to my satellite locals, my OTA local stream(eg. 23-01) to not reflect the programming that is in the guide for the satellite local stream? My guide shows all the programming for ch.23, but not for 23-01, it shows only "digital service" (setting up a manual timer works, but it's not as easy w/o the guide) **EDIT** VIP 622 **EDIT**

Chrisc490 said:
What could be causing, since i do subscribe to my satellite locals, my OTA local stream(eg. 23-01) to not reflect the programming that is in the guide for the satellite local stream? My guide shows all the programming for ch.23, but not for 23-01, it shows only "digital service" (setting up a manual timer works, but it's not as easy w/o the guide) **EDIT** VIP 622 **EDIT**

I don't know. Since "E"s LiL in my area were garbage PQ and I would have had to give up my distants to keep them, I un-subscribed them quite a while ago and am unfamiliar as to what channels they now provide.

As for your situation, I'm gussing your OTA 23-01 represents a sub channel that Dish doesn't carry in their LiLs and therefore you're never going to get the epg.

I think whatever rinky-dink system Dish uses to get epg info, they have to actually have that channel in their LiL lineup in order to "mirror" it to the corresponding OTA channel.

Of course if they didn't restrict the PSIP's epg info that wouldn't be an issue but then you'd be so happy with OTA, you might not buy their LiLs.

waltinvt said:
I don't know. Since "E"s LiL in my area were garbage PQ and I would have had to give up my distants to keep them, I un-subscribed them quite a while ago and am unfamiliar as to what channels they now provide.

As for your situation, I'm gussing your OTA 23-01 represents a sub channel that Dish doesn't carry in their LiLs and therefore you're never going to get the epg.

I think whatever rinky-dink system Dish uses to get epg info, they have to actually have that channel in their LiL lineup in order to "mirror" it to the corresponding OTA channel.

Of course if they didn't restrict the PSIP's epg info that wouldn't be an issue but then you'd be so happy with OTA, you might not buy their LiLs.

Sorry, Ch 23 is the Local NBC affiliate in my area via satellite. Ch 23-01 is the representation of the OTA Digital from the same Station on my guide. I rarely watch NBC, but still, it's a matter of prinicipal. I want my guide to have all the right info on it... I was just wondering what may have been the issue, considering my ABC and CBS affiliates' guide information is present on their respective Digital OTA representations on the guide.

Chrisc490 said:
Sorry, Ch 23 is the Local NBC affiliate in my area via satellite. Ch 23-01 is the representation of the OTA Digital from the same Station on my guide. I rarely watch NBC, but still, it's a matter of prinicipal. I want my guide to have all the right info on it... I was just wondering what may have been the issue, considering my ABC and CBS affiliates' guide information is present on their respective Digital OTA representations on the guide.
Because with CBS and ABC, their digital channel is their main channel(so Dish provides the guide info). With NBC, their digital channel is one of the subchannels, dish provides guide info for the main channel, but not any of the subchannels.

I wish you could just make it so that the guide would take the info from the NBC main channel, and paste in onto the digital subchannel, since they show the exact same thing. I don't record many shows on the NBC subchannel, but it sure would be nice for those few shows to be able to do name based recordings.

I wonder if Dish isn't in some grey area with the PSIP data. If stations are REQUIRED to broadcast PSIP data, shouldn't receivers be required to receive and display it?

Justa thought??

Guide data RVing

How does OTA guide data work when you are RV'ing. Say you subscribe to Indianapolis locals and then you RV to FL, TX, or CA. When you setup the dish in Houston will the 622 pull up the guide data for the Houston locals you can get with an antenna or will it only pull up the Indianpaolis ones when you are back at home.

My 622 just shipped. Hope to have it up and running this weekend.

RobertsD said:
Because with CBS and ABC, their digital channel is their main channel(so Dish provides the guide info). With NBC, their digital channel is one of the subchannels, dish provides guide info for the main channel, but not any of the subchannels.

I wish you could just make it so that the guide would take the info from the NBC main channel, and paste in onto the digital subchannel, since they show the exact same thing. I don't record many shows on the NBC subchannel, but it sure would be nice for those few shows to be able to do name based recordings.
Actually the -01 IS the main channel (the exception being PBS stations)

Really? With my 942 I get the guide data for the stations I pick up OTA out of SF and San Jose and I sub to the Sac DMA.

Because with CBS and ABC, their digital channel is their main channel(so Dish provides the guide info).

Really, also? I get my NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, and WB digital guide data but not my CBS or PBS.

I expect Dish will start charging an "OTA enabling fee"

Jim5506 said:
I wonder if Dish isn't in some grey area with the PSIP data. If stations are REQUIRED to broadcast PSIP data, shouldn't receivers be required to receive and display it?

Justa thought??

I've been saying this for a while now. I've even got the question into the FCC but haven't received an answer yet.

There's no other way to color this whole issue other than Dish does not want their LiLs to have to compete with OTA locals on an even footing. They will not go out of their way to make HD OTA easy - especially now that they're accelerating their HD LiL coverage.

I fully expect at some point (sooner if the FCC were to insist PSIP data NOT be removed) Dish will come up with an "OTA epg enabling fee" for anyone that doesn't sub to Dish LiLs.

teachsac said:
Really? With my 942 I get the guide data for the stations I pick up OTA out of SF and San Jose and I sub to the Sac DMA.

Because with CBS and ABC, their digital channel is their main channel(so Dish provides the guide info).

Really, also? I get my NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, and WB digital guide data but not my CBS or PBS.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was just in my case. The various subchannels and main channels may be different for people around the USA.

For me, CBS, ABC and WB all have their digital channel as the main. NBC, PBS, KBYU and FO:mad:although I don't get it) all have their digital station as one of the subchannels.