622 OTA Guide, Dish Pass and Timers

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I'll start off by saying I don't subscribe to OTA and I don't see any OTA guide info displayed for the OTA channels.

I've lost a few recordings on my 622 due to OTA timers firing and running with no endpoint. The HD fills up and just starts to delete recordings. I thought the record button was getting pressed inadvertently. This morning it was recording its fifteenth hour, but I wasn't home to accidentally push the rec button. No timers show in the daily schedule. I have changed remote addresses and the timers keep firing.

So, on a whim, I looked up an OTA program on titantv and set the 622 for a Dishpass for the program's key words. Sure enough, the 622 started recording the OTA program using the inaccessible OTA guide information.

So to summarize, Dish blocks the OTA guide info unless you pay for it. Dishpass continues to use the blocked and inaccessible guide info to fire errant timers. These fired timers do not have an endpoint that correlates with the guide info that triggered the timer. The recording runs without bounds to fill and delete previous recordings.

This sux!

Please, just open up the guide info so this stops being an issue!

Digital access fee

If you want locals on the guide, you still have to pay the $5 that they call a "digital access fee".

I tell people to get an antenna AND pay for the locals for the best operation of the system.

Go to the Search function and put in some term which you know to be an OTA program. The results bring up all sorts of OTA program slots which run on for hours and hours.

It will only say digital programing until you pay.

Dish wants their money if you want to use their DVR to record your OTA.

I realize all that. Do you see the behavior which I outlined? The DVR is using the blocked guide info to fire errant record timers.

I have a 622 and do not pay for locals. I have set many manual timers and have never had one fill my HD as you describe. Make sure when you create the timings for the manual timer that you have the am and pm correct. That might give you a 13 hour recording.

I have not had this happen on my OTA timers. But something similar has happened on a regular guide item. When I stopped the recording (that was going way past the end time), and ignored the underestimated recording time, and erased it, I recovered many hours of HD recordable time. This has happened to me twice. If I could precisely identify the sequence of events, I'd report it to Dish. I think it occurs when the EPG says show X will be on from A to B, but instead show Y is actually shown, from A to C.

I have a 622 and do not pay for locals. I have set many manual timers and have never had one fill my HD as you describe. Make sure when you create the timings for the manual timer that you have the am and pm correct. That might give you a 13 hour recording.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to describe. The timers are not manual. The DVR is firing a timer based upon OTA guide info read by Dish Pass. I cannot use the OTA guide because it s not activated. Yet, the DVR is seeing at least some of the OTA guide info and firing errant timers with 10's of hours in duration.

Do a search for something that is airing on an OTA and it will return in the search results but as digital service with incorrect start and end times.

Its a bug in whatever code they use to kill OTA guide for non-LIL subs, I doubt they will fix it.

Do a search for something that is airing on an OTA and it will return in the search results but as digital service with incorrect start and end times.

Its a bug in whatever code they use to kill OTA guide for non-LIL subs, I doubt they will fix it.

Exactly!!! As Peter Griffin would say, "This grinds my gears!" :)

Exactly!!! As Peter Griffin would say, "This grinds my gears!" :)

gpflepsen,

While this is a very unfortunate problem related to the fact that Dish will not allow their receivers to use that Channels PSIP data.

I agree having to pay $5.00 per month is annoying, but not being able to easily set timers and record using the EPG data for Local OTA is worth the extra $5.00.

John

I would think for Dish to expend the effort to block the OTA guide info, they'd do the job completely. But no, it is another buggered up feature.

If they are going to block it, please disable it completely. I'm already paying $6 for a DVR fee, I don't want to have to pay for the local guide info to let the DVR work as intended.

That grinds my gears. :)

I must say this is the funniest thread I've read in awhile. It seems that none of the early repliers read your original post. :D

Have you tried looking in your guide for your locals that you don't subscribe to? I believe they should be in the 8,000 range. My guess is that internally the receiver is mapping these channels down so they match your OTA channels and therefore it is able to get guide information for them (even though you can only see "Digital Service"). This guide info is then caught by the DishPass which in turn starts recording a program. The code to stop a recording was written by a different team, and doesn't query the same guide info, and therefore doesn't know when to stop the recording.

Anyway, if you can find your locals in the 8,000 range, try locking them. I've never tried this, but I remember seeing posts that said that if you lock a channel you won't be able to search guide info for that channel. It is possible that this would also prevent the DishPass from seeing that guide info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)