622 ota problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rklein

Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hello:

I have been a E* customer for well over 10 years. My problem is that for the last 6 months the ota of my 622 receiver is not picking up WKYC(Cleveland). I had no problems prior to this. After getting two replacement 622's(of which both were DOA), and going through all of the possible fixes with E*'s tech dept, I went back to my original 622 and have lived with watching WKYC in SD. If I can't resolve this problem, I am seriously considering moving to D*. I was hoping a fellow forum member could give me some insight on solving this very frustrating problem. I know it is not the fault of my antenna. My TV is a Hitachi 57S500 which does not have an OTA tuner.

Thanks,

rklein

How far away are you from the station's transmitter? Have you tried adjusting your antenna? The 622's are know to not have the greatest OTA tuners, thus requiring antenna tweaks and/or amplification pending your location. Post your zip code so we can see where you lie geographically. Also, what kind antenna are you using? Is in Indoors/Outdoors? More info will help.

Hi KAB:

I have not tried adjusting my antenna as the signal strength was very good on all my locals. My problems seemed to start when E* updated my 622 with new firmware. In addition, I have tried from time to time to rescan my locals and a few times the receiver will pick up WKYC and everything will be great for a few days and then all of a sudden, no WKYC.

Thanks,

rklein

Hi KAB:

I have not tried adjusting my antenna as the signal strength was very good on all my locals. My problems seemed to start when E* updated my 622 with new firmware. In addition, I have tried from time to time to rescan my locals and a few times the receiver will pick up WKYC and everything will be great for a few days and then all of a sudden, no WKYC.

Thanks,

rklein
Well again, we could use more info as requested. The station must be lower powered or farther away than the others. It is probably addressable if you want. So, you need to help us help you. A slight antenna asjustment may be all you need. That's all I can do for you right now.

I too, have the same problem with my OTA antenna running through the 622. I get the channels just fine when I run the OTA antenna directly to the HDTV, (but no ability to record programs) and then when I run it through the 622, the signal varies constantly and drops in & out. Why is that? Of course thech support had no answers for me...

What are the signal levels? How many stations are you receiving? What type of antenna? How long is the cable to ant? Is the cable RG6 and is it spliced? What say?

My zip code is 44233. I am not sure of my antenna brand at this time(at the office). However, it has a 10 foot footprint and is located inside an attic at the highest point in the house. WKYC's transmitter is located in Parma, Ohio which is only about 10 miles from my house. The signal levels are very high for all of my local stations(between 90-100) which included WKYC(until 6 months ago). The cable is spliced as it feeds two other TV's. However, this should not be the problem as nothing was wrong for over a year with this current setup.

Thanks,

rklein

It's not impossible that things may have changed at the transmitter, resulting in what sounds like Multi-Pathing (signal bounce off buildings, terrain, resulting in multiple "pings" to your antenna. If in your attic, I suggest moving the antenna a few feet from where it is now and see what happens. Also, aim it upward about 20 degrees. I have a station here, almost the exact distance, that requires a very directional antenna aimed at it to prevent this.

Hi.
I recently ran into a similar situation. I lost my local Fox stations Digital signal (HD) and tried tech support with Dish and they suggested the problem was with the antenna. Just one day the signal was no longer there. Someone suggested I check all of the cable connections from the antenna all the way to the box/tv. Sure enough my problem was due to a cable connection that had loosened. Tightened it up and the signal was back. The loose connector in my case was in the junctions on the back of the 622 (diplexer/splitter/combiner). In my case the antenna signal is combined with the satellite signal at the LNB and the split just before entering the 622. That is where it had worked loose.
I don't remember the specific explanation given as to what actually happens, but I think it was VHF signals are vulnerable to loose connectors (blocked?) but UHF signals could still be passed. ( I might have those reversed). Sounds crazy, but it might be worth a shot. Best of luck.

Hello Again:

Well......... I got home from my office and the first thing I did was check the antenna cable connections to the 622. I remembered that I had a Dish service call done in regards to setting up my second TV in our bedroom and the service guy putting in a splitter. Sure enough the connections were not tight going into the 622. I tightened them up and ran a local channel scan and Voila!! Back came WKYC in all it's digital HD glory!!:love You'd think I would have known better being a DIY guy(built my own stereo speakers, done my own electrical work, etc.):rolleyes:

Thanks to all who found the time to respond with a special thanks to GT3Jay:bow who came up with the solution.

Cheers,

rklein

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)