622 OTA Solution

splat10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
I've seen a few threads here talking about how the 622's OTA isn't as good as the 811 or other brands and some saying it is better. This disperity got me thinking since my 622 was not doing as well as my 811 either.

First i checked that I wasn't over amplifying the signal and found i was bypassing the amplifer so that wasn't the problem.

Next I found that the FCC filter that ships with the 622 to prevent the TV2 from broadcasting out the antenna was between the antenna and the "ant in" on the 622. I removed it and BAM my signal strength jumped about 30 points. It's actually better now than my 811. So i split off the antenna feed for TV2 and put the filter in there and now all is good (except my OTA on TV2 is not as good but it's analog so we'll see).

I know that an attenuator comes with the 622, maybe that's what splat is using. Shouldn't be there at all unless needed to reduce signal to a TV that's getting too much.

That filter is an attenuator, that goes on the UHF remote input, not in the OTA antenna input. It is a 10dB attenuator - cuts signal to 1/8 of original strength.

well the little flag that was attached to it in the box said to put it between the TV2 RF output and the antenna to pret broadcasting of the TV2 signal. If you are saying it's not a filter then it could be source of confusion for a lot of people. I'm pretty good at this stuff and obviously the flag confused me.

Is it the one that's on page 75 of the 622 manual?

It sounds like (in the manual page 101) the attenuator may also be used when connecting to the agile modulator with a TV nearby through a RF connection, i.e. it prevents over loading the tuner on the nearby TV ("ensure tha the signal strength present at the TV set does not exceed 75.6dBuV.").

The "broadcast thing" sounds reasonable too, but I could not find any mention of it in the manual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)