622 problem with fan, or not?

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
A week ago we were watching TV when our 622 turned itself off, then when I turned it back on the fan came on full blast and then turned off. For the 18 months we've had it, the fan would be on all the time - quite annoying but seemed normal for the 622. So after it comes up there seemed to be no fan at all, and we noticed more artifacts than usual (could be coincidence). We called it in and the guy stepped us through a few things and then decided we needed a warranty replacement. That arrived and I installed it - and it behaves the same way. Now I'm wondering if we A) Have a second bad receiver, B) Had a receiver that was bad but corrected itself, C) Are imagining things, or D) Got new firmware (448) that makes the fan behave differently. Any comments from other 622 owners? What's normal? Thanks!

Does your setup allow room for air to circulate around the 622? Is it in a warm room? Is it above another electronic device that gives off heat?

There is a diagnostics selection in the menus (menu, 6, 3, counters, page down 6 times and one more for the rest of the data) where you get hard drive heat info. Check that out and let us know what you see.

Does your setup allow room for air to circulate around the 622? Is it in a warm room? Is it above another electronic device that gives off heat?

There is a diagnostics selection in the menus (menu, 6, 3, counters, page down 6 times and one more for the rest of the data) where you get hard drive heat info. Check that out and let us know what you see.

The receiver is in a greatroom that is usually kept about 75F and has good airflow, often with the ceiling fan on. It is on the bottom shelf of a component rack, with the back open and the front doors left open. The replacement receiver shows 138F at the moment, not planning to plug the old receiver back in at this point - but they should be the same given the same location and fan behavior.

Does a fireplace count lol? I have a opening above my fireplace where all my A/V equipment sits. The other day the fireplace was on for a few hours and the receiver shut down and displayed some error about it got too hot. Has been fine ever since though.

The receiver is in a greatroom that is usually kept about 75F and has good airflow, often with the ceiling fan on. It is on the bottom shelf of a component rack, with the back open and the front doors left open. The replacement receiver shows 138F at the moment, not planning to plug the old receiver back in at this point - but they should be the same given the same location and fan behavior.
From what I've seen here 138 isn't too bad a temp, but temp problems are not my forte.

The only other thing I can contribute is that when the receiver "calls home" it goes off and on and the fan runs.

From what I've seen here 138 isn't too bad a temp, but temp problems are not my forte.

The only other thing I can contribute is that when the receiver "calls home" it goes off and on and the fan runs.

I have to suspect that it would phone home in the middle of the night rather than 9AM, but maybe it was lonely...

A week ago we were watching TV when our 622 turned itself off, then when I turned it back on the fan came on full blast and then turned off. For the 18 months we've had it, the fan would be on all the time - quite annoying but seemed normal for the 622. So after it comes up there seemed to be no fan at all, ...

Actually your pevious behavior is abnormal. Normally the fan will be off most of the time. It goes on full speed during the boot process. It has at least two speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)