622 recording to dvd?

mitchfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I have the 622 and wanted to buy a dvd recorder to back up certain programs. I tried a couple of dvd recorders about 6 mo ago, but wasn't 100% happy with any of them in conjunction with my Charter SA8000HD box at the time. Here are some things I'm wondering...

1. Does the 622 allow output of an ANAMORPHIC signal via the S-Video output?

2. Do I have to set the 622 to a multi TV mode to use the S-Video output? Currently I have it set up for a single TV. If so, will I lose any funcionality (fewer tuners for DVR recordings, etc)?

3. A few of the brands of DVD recorders I tried before would NOT record most programming off Charter cable due to copywright protection signal built into the broadcast (Toshiba and Sony seemed to be most sensitive). Is this an issue with Dish equipment as well?

Thanks for any info!
-Mitch

You can record from the 622 to a DVD Recorder, but DVD recorders only accept 480i input; thus you need to down-rez your 622 to output it through the 622's HD output settings. I believe I had my Philips Recorder (now sitting unused) connected via both S-Video and Component video.

But since you can't record in higher resolution, the end result is not particularly impressive.

Sad because I spent a decent piece of change on the philips recorder.

I am not sure about the anamorphic signal; but I think it depends on the DVD recorder setting. Is it set for 16x9.

You should not have to set for multi-tv; the S-Video output, component video output, and HDMI output all are for tuner 1.

When I recorded from my Dish 625 I never had ANY problems with macrovision. It should not, as it is a tv signal, not a dvd that you are copying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...

>>I am not sure about the anamorphic signal; but I think it depends on the DVD recorder setting. Is it set for 16x9. <<

Some dvd-r models have a setting for anamoprhic, but that won't matter unless the 622 can actually output Anamorphic 480i.

>>You should not have to set for multi-tv; the S-Video output, component video output, and HDMI output all are for tuner 1. <<

I guess what I was thinking here is that setting it up for TWO tvs might be easier than always switching your main HD output setting, since the 2nd TV output is always SD.

>>When I recorded from my Dish 625 I never had ANY problems with macrovision. It should not, as it is a tv signal, not a dvd that you are copying<<

You would think this, but I ran into copy protection issues trying to record programs off the Charter SA HD box via both S-video and Composite. There must be some kind of CP signal being transmitted with the video.

-Mitch

mitchfx said:
Does the 622 allow output of an ANAMORPHIC signal via the S-Video output?

Yes, it does on TV1 output (or also on TV2 if you're in single mode). If you're in dual mode, then TV2 is letterboxed, not anamorphic.

I recognize that this "feature" is useful for DVD recording, but I would actually prefer letterboxed NTSC output for proper viewing on my remote regular TVs (I don't want to use dual mode because TV2 doesn't support the OTA tuner). :rolleyes:

I disagree with many of the responses....

You can get anamorphic out from svideo (& composite & component). Yes, you'll need to be in single/16 by 9 mode.

I think the recordings made look pretty good (though lose the DD sound). Make sure the RF is in Line Mode or DD5.1 will get downmixed to stereo (instead of Pro-Logic).

Many of the Philips/Magnovox recorders support component in at 480i. The 622 is the first model to support this. I haven't tried this, but is might give a better recording (over S-Video).

Problem is the 622 must be in this mode so you will not be able to watch Hi-Def while recording. Plus, there's only 1 component out.

Other comments... Want a good picture, don't use anything longer then 2 hour mode. Anamorphic is way better then Letterbox (way waste your pixels recording black bars).

16:9 setting on most dvd recorders has nothing to do with recording. It tells the unit what type of TV you have. So, if the recording if flagged "Anamorphic" AND you have a 4:3 TV it'll create a letterbox.

Hence the final problem. If you record an anamorphic source most DVD recorders will not automatically set the anamorphic flag. It will play fine on a 16:9 TV, but will be vertically stretched on a 4:3.

Solution is to record first to an RW then copy to a PC and set the anamorphic flag (ifoedit). Then reburn.

ifoedit:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=3783431&&#post3783431

I agree with most of this except most of the dvd recorders with a hard drive allows editing of the program. In which case you could record to the dvd's hard drive, edit what you would want and then record to the dvd. I have a Polariod and can record in rf, composite, s-video and component inputs. Outputs the same, and component only works if 622 is set to 480i.

I understand that to use the OTA tuner on TV2, start recording the OTA via TV1, then watch the DVR copy via TV2. You'll only be a few seconds behind.

Something else to consider if you're thinking of buying a DVD Recorder....

The OTA ATSC tuner mandate kicks in July 2007. After that anything that currently has an NTSC tuner will have to be ATSC capable (perhaps they can still sell what is already on the shelves).

Blue laser may not be ready yet, but you should be able to record SD DVD quality anamorphic from OTA Hi-Def (down-rezed). Maybe they'll finally even let us record DD5.1.

I'd wait, or buy a cheap one to hold me over until the ATSC models hit the shelves.

Last edited:
garys said:
I agree with most of this except most of the dvd recorders with a hard drive allows editing of the program. In which case you could record to the dvd's hard drive, edit what you would want and then record to the dvd. I have a Polariod and can record in rf, composite, s-video and component inputs. Outputs the same, and component only works if 622 is set to 480i.
You can also edit with DVD-RW in VR mode.
So when you look don't pass on SAMSUNG DVD-R135 or SAMSUNG DVD-R145.
I've tried a few and most suck!!!
Everthing from freezing to they don't copy protect stuff (Paid Channels).
Good luck.

I record to my sony dvd recorder via the super vhs output of tuner one on the 622. However the video is on my tv via the hdmi out of tuner one is the picture format on the dvd. All of tuner 1s outputs can be used at the same time so you do not need to unplug anything to do the record.
The pq of the dvd is not bad but when you see it in hd and instantly in dvd you see what you have been getting used to by watching only HD>
I put "Chicago" (music group" on dvd for my sister in law and all they could do was brag about the fantastic pq. They watch sd cable and dvd;s so do not know what hd looks like. HD will spoil you. dave.

I have a JVC recorder and the thing stopped recording to DVD-Rs but still records to DVD-RAMs. So to archive something from the 622 I have to transfer it to the JVC with composite cables (sadly no S-video input) and record onto a DVD-RAM, come to work and upload the DVD-RAM to my PC (PC at home won't read DVD-RAMs), use Nero Ultra to recode the DVD-RAM and burn to a DVD-R. Oh and I have to remember to 'stretch' the picture during playback so it records normally on the DVD-RAM. With Nero I also recode to MPEG-4 so I can put tv shows/movies on memory sticks and watch on my PSP. Fun times.

I think I found the perfect DVD Recorder to use with the Vip622; its the Philips DVDR3400. It has component in (480i only) and HDMI (not upscaled) out. I does a perfect job in achiving stuff from the Vip. It also records dual-layer disks.

The component in provides a great recorded DVD that far surpasses the quality from S-Video sources.

foghorn2 said:
I think I found the perfect DVD Recorder to use with the Vip622; its the Philips DVDR3400. It has component in (480i only) and HDMI (not upscaled) out. I does a perfect job in achiving stuff from the Vip. It also records dual-layer disks.

The component in provides a great recorded DVD that far surpasses the quality from S-Video sources.
Tell me when you find a HDDVD or BLU-RAY recorder that can record off the VIP622 in hidef.:( I don't need a SD recording.

tnsprin said:
Tell me when you find a HDDVD or BLU-RAY recorder that can record off the VIP622 in hidef.:( I don't need a SD recording.
Maybe you should start your own thread!!!!

Sounds like what I've been looking for. Can you tell me where you picked it up? I was thinking about getting the Polaroid at Walmart that has the componet in, and then getting a seperate unit for playback with HDMI out, but this sounds like it will do both.

I use the S-Video for video from TV1, I feed it to the HDTV via HDMI, The Pioneer is set to 16:9. Before I record I preview it via the recorder. Tweak the brightness, sharpness, etc. Then if it is letterboxed I use the zoom on the remote to zoom the letterbox until it fills the screen properly for 4:3. If it is a full screen SD channel I use the zoom to stretch it to fill the DVD recorders output so as to not get black bars on the sides.

Single Mode so I do all my recording at night while sleeping.

the HD channels may not be true HD but they don't look bad and pressing the fill button on the TVs remote fills the screen and restores what looks like the proper aspect ratio to my eyes anyway.

I played back a SD via the 622 on a SD TV and it looked good too. IMHO

FWIW.

It's cheap at Amazon with free shipping and no Tax for most states. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR3...000G18DRA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/102-2805213-9643312

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)