622 Replacement (fingers crossed)

tylerwebb17

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Just thought I'd let everyone know.

I bought a 622 that arrived on 30 March. About 10 minutes after it was authorized it started the SBSOD (Screaming Black Screen of Death) and would randomly do it while it was on, sometimes running for 1-4 hours just fine and other times it would do it within 10 minutes. I've tried everything--I've switched from HDMI to component to composite to co-ax. I changed the Auto-shutoff time, I've switched from DualMode to SingleMode, I tried cooling it with fans (it's in an open space that is cool)...but nothing helped... It's always great to have friends over to watch TV and hang out and have them going on about how nice the picture is and the screen goes black and it's as if Eddie VanHalen starts a guitar solo a max volume in the middle of a baseball game followed by 3 minutes of silence and then 2 minutes of "Acquiring Satellite Signal"...

Well, this morning I'd had enough (plus it was scaring my Airedale to death when it did it). So I called DishNetwork and I'm a AT&T/SBC DishNetwork subscriber (didn't know if this would be an issue or not) and went to techsupport. While I was waiting on them it had just recovered from it's last SBSOD and AnimalPlanet was on. When the CSR came on the line and asked what the problem was I was describing it and it SBSOD'd again (what luck?!) so I informed her that it randomly locked up and made this terrible screaching noise and then turned up the volume on the TV and held the telephone to the speakers (I got some kind of sick satisfaction from this). She said that was "a terrible noise" and informed me that "this is a known HARDWARE (I say that because other people in these forums have stated that the CSR's have said software) issue with the hard drives and they are being replaced. I wanted to make sure so I said, "so this isn't something that will be fixed in a software upgrade?", she said, "No, it's internal to the receiver and will need to be replaced".

So... I should have a new receiver by Friday and I hope I'm happier. I love the upside to the 622 but I was getting worried that the downside was going to be too much to bear. I'll keep everyone posted on the new one when I get it. Thought I'd pass this along so anyone else plagued with this issue can get it resolved.

Tyler

vip622 L356 (sending back)
Samsung 67 series 50" DLP

I wish you luck with your replacement. I have my fingers crossed that my replacement, which came today, will be a better one. I do feel your pain though. Mine crashed and burned 8 times on Sunday while watching Nascar and the Rolex Grand Am race. I called E* after the 2nd crash and was told the same as you, "it is a known issue". E* even has my Wife after them now, it crashed during the last 5 minutes of American Idol last night and she missed the end of the show. It will be tomorrow before I switch mine to find out. It is just too late tonight to chance the aggrevation.

[edit]
Took a look and I have a B that will be replaced by a C. Atleast it will after some yard work and then I have to watch Lost off the old one.

Last edited:
quick update...

Got replacement 622 that I originally installed on March 31. Activated it yesterday around 4PM CDT and it has been on ever since and during that time it has been rock solid, not one glitch at all.

I don't know if the letter at the end of the code on the receiver is really a version or revision indicator but my first 622 was a C and the one I just received as a replacement yesterday was a D...if anyone cares.

Anyway, I'm happy now and it's great being able to watch without fear of glitches, reboots and screaming black screens... Good job DISH...

Hooked up my "C" last night. It took 2 hours to get it activated and running, I can post the link to that story if needed (it is in this forum in another 622 thread). It then lasted all of maybe 20 minutes before rebooting and then never getting past the harddrive whirring at startup. Left it on over 7 hours and still no start. I cannot wait for another round of CSR Roulette when I get home :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts