622 Setup questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sadcaper

Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Hi there-

I currently have Comcast cable, but thinking about switching to DISH. A couple of questions that hopefully you all can help with...

1. When installing the 622 for controlling 2 TVs, how is the second TV hooked up? Do you need a separate coaxial running from the receiver to TV2? If so, this presents major problems as TV2 is upstairs and not close to the receiver so running cable would be a HUGE pain.

2. If the coaxial cable is used for TV2, what are the composite connections used for that are marked on the back of the receiver as "TV2"?

3. If I can get it setup to control 2 TVs, does the second TV only view stations 21-69 as it says on the back of the receiver?

4. Is it possible to only have one cable coming into the house for the 622? Then break it out right before connecting it? Otherwise, more cable would have to be run as there is only one run to that position in the house.

5. Anyone use a wireless receiver/transmitter for TV2? I thought that would be a good alternative to running cable to TV2.

Thanks! I look forward to your answers.

1. It uses coaxial or composite.

2. Composite can be used.

3. Those are the channels that the modulator outputs to UHF or Cable. You can watch all the channels as TV1 (even HD channels) except for OTA channels.

4. With the right equipment, all you need is one cable to feed the 622.

5. I believe there are some wireless receiver/transmitter available. You may want to search for what's out there.

3) Slight correction, I think: IIRC, you can also watch OTA on TV2, but as a "delayed" program. I.e., you need to set OTA up to record on TV1 then watch the recorded program on TV2. That can be done with only a slight (few second) delay. Search it in this forum "OTA on TV2" or such to see how others have done it.

5) Yes! It works quite well, too. I have a transmitter/receiver pair (actually 2 sets) made by a company called Leapfrog. I bought them several years ago at Best Buy for about $70 per set, IIRC. You can also get a similar item from Radio Shack, but at a higher price. I could only find this link ($250) but I know they had a cheaper one ($99?) at one time...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=wireless+TV&kw=wireless+tv&parentPage=search

You'll love the 622.

Welcome, BTW...

"3) Slight correction, I think: IIRC, you can also watch OTA on TV2, but as a "delayed" program. I.e., you need to set OTA up to record on TV1 then watch the recorded program on TV2. That can be done with only a slight (few second) delay. Search it in this forum "OTA on TV2" or such to see how others have done it."

I should've put the disclaimer. :) I knew someone will bring this trick up. What I should've said is that they don't show in the guide so you can't watch them directly.

I currently have Comcast cable, but thinking about switching to DISH.
If you currently have cable going to each of the TV's, upstairs and downstairs, then it will probably not be a problem.

You can run a single cable from a DPP Twin, DPP44, or a Dish 1000.2 to the ViP622. Using the DPP Separator, it will give you the 2 sat signals you need at the ViP622.

Then hopefully, you can use a couple of diplexers on that same cable run to back-feed the ViP622 modulated output (of TV1 and TV2) to your Comcast Cable distribution point and then feed your upstairs TV(s).

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp
At the above link, you will find plenty of documentation and examples, but check out the distribution examples - particularly 2 and 3 (I think).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)