622 tv2 output into home Cable distribution

Ziploc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
How can I combine the output of the tv2 output from my 622 with standard cable tv channels in a home distribution? I know/understand how to set the channel output at the 622.

I have a dedicated RG6 line from the 622 back to a central home distribution box. the box has RG6 input from my local cable company into an 8 way splitter to distribute throughout my house. I'd like to combine the 622's tv2 output with my local cable television to enable dish/DVR access to all my rooms.

Thanks!

Just any standard video splitter used in reverse? Seems to easy what's the catch?

Yes, that works, BUT.....

You need to put the output from TV2 onto a modulated channel NOT on your cable system. Otherwise you will get alot of herringbone and static because it looks empty, but it is really in use!

And just because a channel might be static, doesn't mean it isn't used. There is alot of data on that line in unusual places.

What I did was buy a 80+ attenuator. It blocks all channels above cable channel 80. Then I modulate 7 Tivos/dvrs, receivers, media pc systems, on 84, 87, 90, 93,
102, 105, 108. I split the cable in, to one side for the digital cable box, and the other attenuated 80+

They make all sorts of attenuators. 80 isn't the only one.

Then any tv in the house can watch any box. I send the ir back through the phone wires with a special ir sender/rcvr box system.

Last edited:
Ziploc said:
Just any standard video splitter used in reverse? Seems to easy what's the catch?
That's the right question. Distributing multiple RF sources in a home network is not that easy to do - if you want perfect results. The post above cautions about interference - which is a real possibility. You can try to play around with pass-filters, etc. and those may work....

But there are actually specific devices made for this job. They aren't cheap, though!! Here is one from Smarthome.com that will work.

Ouch that is a bit pricey! In looking into the simpler cheaper route, splitters seem to come in several frequency flavors what's the best suited for this application?

2Way Splitter 15-2150 Hi-return loss
Splitter 2 way 40-2150 1PP
Splitter 2 Way 5-2150 MHz 1PP
Splitter 2 way 5-900 MHz

none of the runs will be longer than 50-75 feet, and there will only be a single splitter to merge the cable and vip622/tv2 into the 8-way that feeds the rooms which is I think a fairly common On-Q Legrand 1x8. http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/lang/en/pid/2311

Adding tv1 thats the easy part, both tv1 and tv2 output fine on separate channels and I can do that already to one tv. I'd just like to combine those 2 channels in with other existing cable channels and install that to make things nicer in the kids rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts