622 TV2 output

halsan40

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Palm Bay, Fl
I am planning on getting a 622.
Right now I have 2 Receivers. On TV2 I run S VHS to the set. Years ago I ran a composite link from TV1 to TV2 but never used it. If I get the 622 and use the composite link (about 60' long) for TV2 instead of the seperate receiver, will there be a significant degradation in PQ over the current second receiver S VHS hookup? TV2 is a Phillips 32" thats about 3 years old.

Likely not. SVideo over that length is lossy unless the cable is very high end. Composite should be about the same as long as that cable is good enough. That TV is relatively new and "should" have a good decoder that would make S and regular composite similar anyway. Just remember that composite might have a redder cast to it (in my experience) so use a good test DVD to calibrate your monitor. Avia or Video Essentials will improve your picture greatly, no matter what the source.

Oh, when using the DVD, hook it up to the same input you will have the TV2 hooked to. Otherwise you will be correcting the color on the component or svideo side of it, when you need to correct the color using the composite connection and the decoding chips it runs through.

Thank You iKramerica.
I probably didn't explain my hookup on TV2 that well. Currenty it has a seperate Dish receiver with a 6' S VHS cable to the TV. In upgrading to the 622 I was thinking of having just the one 622 receiver at TV1 and use the 60' composite cables to hook the 622's TV2 output to the Phillips. So I guess the difference would be a 6' S VHS VS a 60' composite cable. If it severly degrade the PQ is there an amp that could be used to boost the composite?

Maybe try using coax for that hookup, after all it is plenty good to bring you your feed from the dish isn't it. Just make sure it is rated to 2500 GHz.

Last edited:
DucTape said:
Maybe try using coax for that hookup, after all it is plenty good to bring you your feed from the dish isn't it. Just make sure it is rated to 2500 GHz.

I thought the specs for the 622 TV2 output were:

TV2 A/V CONNECTIONS
1 set RCA-type audio/video outputs

I guess I will have to get a RCA to RG6 converter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)