622 UHF remotes "eat" batteries

jelively

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Any insight as to why the 622 UHF remote uses batteries MUCH faster than the IR remote? We primarily use the IR remote on both of our 622's. The UHF for each is in a different room and is only used maybe 10% of the time compared to the primary IR remote...but they are drained quickly just sitting there. Ideas??

Jim

Any insight as to why the 622 UHF remote uses batteries MUCH faster than the IR remote? We primarily use the IR remote on both of our 622's. The UHF for each is in a different room and is only used maybe 10% of the time compared to the primary IR remote...but they are drained quickly just sitting there. Ideas??

Jim
You have defective remote. Call Dish to have it replaced.

But whats odd is it's happening for both UHF remotes but not the IR remotes. Guess it can't hurt to ask for new UHF remotes :)

Jim

I just had someone call me to say that their UHF remote has to have it's batteries replaced very often (every few weeks or less) since they had their system installed December 2006. I think I've had another UHF remote a while back that had the same thing happen.

I have had the 622 for over 2 years and with UHF remote I have to replace batteries about 3 times as often as with the main remote. Since I changed my setup to control the same feed to both monitors, this battery run down increased. But it is worth it as I have a HD feed to the 2nd monitor, too.

My uhf remote too, "eats" batteries. I called dish and they said I needed to relace it. Mine is only 6 months old and I have replaced the batteries 3 times already, while the #1 remote still has the original batteries in it...Hmmm

Jim

1) Buy some rechargable Energizer batterys with the charger. I use them for many power draining devices and they last for quite some time between charges. 2) You may have a defective remote, but I have 722 unit & it doesn't eat its batterys. However, we only use the set for 1 hr. @ bed time for the news.

I swear by Energizer rechargables as I have an optical PC mouse that used to drain regular batterys every week. The rechargables last 2-3 weeks & were well worth the small amount of money I spent on them & the charge. I believe I bought the "kit" @ Sam's Club. Hope this helps.;)

Update: I went ahead and called and they're sending out 2 new UHF remotes...no hassles :)

Jim

I used the energizer NiMH rechargable batteries that can recharge up to 1000 times with my optical wireless mouse for my laptop until that mouse died. Never replaced it. Works great for a week or two on each charge. Got the one hour charge a while back. They have had 15 minute chargers out for a while after I bought the one hour charger.

They don't want you to ship back the old one because it costs them more for the shipping than what it would cost to ship that one back. I think one time they wanted the remote back when I had a remote issue a good while back.

You have defective remote. Call Dish to have it replaced.

I guess I have a faulty remote too because I keep replacing the batteries in my #2 UHF remote too. I'd say they have to be changed in less than a month and I rarely use this remote and the outdoor patio television it is used on.

He is right... the batteries are eaten quickly.

I just found myself changing the batteries in my 622 UHF remote yet again today, less than 2 weeks since the last change.

They agreed to send me a replacement but tried to charge me $5.98 for shipping. I told them no way was I paying for the shipping of a replacement and demanded the Indian CSR waive the fee. He put me on hold and came back to say he would waive the fee.

They have some nerve. I am so close to dropping them as it is and going with DirecTV. They should be walking on egg shells with me, instead they try to pawn of another $6 on me. I have only had Dish for like 8-9 months and have changed the batteries in this UHF remote several times. I shouldn't be penalized by paying for shipping the replacement unit. Geeze.

I just found myself changing the batteries in my 622 UHF remote yet again today, less than 2 weeks since the last change.

They agreed to send me a replacement but tried to charge me $5.98 for shipping. I told them no way was I paying for the shipping of a replacement and demanded the Indian CSR waive the fee. He put me on hold and came back to say he would waive the fee.

They have some nerve. I am so close to dropping them as it is and going with DirecTV. They should be walking on egg shells with me, instead they try to pawn of another $6 on me. I have only had Dish for like 8-9 months and have changed the batteries in this UHF remote several times. I shouldn't be penalized by paying for shipping the replacement unit. Geeze.

I'm sure that the first thing Charlie does each morning when he gets to his office is call in his entire staff to update him on whether YOU personally are happy.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Charlie has way bigger things to be concerned about such as the possible sale to AT&T, the delay in getting our new satellites up due to the "launch" company having delay problems, losing thousands and thousands (not just one, not just YOU) of his customers or possible new customers to Directv, etc.,etc.

The impression that you have given from all your postings is that Dish should do everything according to what YOU and YOU ALONE want (and to heck with everyone else). If you don't like it, leave. But I guarantee you that Directv or whatever cable company you go to WILL NOT base their business decisions around YOU and YOU ALONE either.

Dish Network is not interested in just pleasing ONE person alone. They want to be the leader in Satellite TV and that means pleasing the MAJORITY of people who are or will become satellite TV subscribers. They don't make the big bucks off one subscriber alone. They make the big bucks off millions and millions of subscribers.

P.S: You bet Directv is kicking our butts right now, but when we do get those satellites up, we WILL be right back to kicking their teeth in.

Last edited: