622 USB ports?

Z-man17

Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
I have a 622 on order - should be here in a day or 2 - so I'm looking for a good up-convert DVD recorder. All that I see are a bit pricey. But then I see that the 622 has 2 USB ports. I'm thinking I'll stick with an up-convert player for now - So ...can I record a program on the internal HDD - download it via the USB to my laptop that has a DVD recorder in it??? Or am I smokin' crack?
Are the USB ports "user friendly" yet?
Thanks!

Z-man17 said:
I have a 622 on order - should be here in a day or 2 - so I'm looking for a good up-convert DVD recorder. All that I see are a bit pricey. But then I see that the 622 has 2 USB ports. I'm thinking I'll stick with an up-convert player for now - So ...can I record a program on the internal HDD - download it via the USB to my laptop that has a DVD recorder in it??? Or am I smokin' crack?
Are the USB ports "user friendly" yet?
Thanks!
They will never be that user friendly. Ability to download to a USB DISK is planned and can already download to Pocketdish. Stuff downloaded to a USB disk will only be playable on your Dish receiver.

As the previous post said, you can currently download to a pocketdish, however, I believe on another thread someone said you could not download from the 622 to a pocketdish any recordings that were done in HD. I'm not an expert on this; I'm not even an user.

The USB port can also be used to upload pictures from digital camera's, etc...

Also, later when you see that there is an ethernet port on the back, it's for future use.

The new Pocket Dish units that will be available soon will allow downrezzed transfer of HD content! Very nice. Plus, the new units have larger, higher res screens than the models they replace.

I can't wait until they are available.

They need to market them aggressively. For example, if a sub is willing to make a 24-month programming commitment to Gold or above they might be able to pick up a 604 model for as little as $99. Keep in mind that's wishful thinking and not policy.

The WIFI models will be great for downloading video podcasts, too!

I just ordered the Samsung DVD-R135. It's an upconverting DVD player/ recorder. I read some pretty good reviews of it and right now Best Buy, Costco and Circuit City are offering it for $150. I figured it's not too much to spend while waiting for E* to offer the external drive option.