622 user question...

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Just wondering,

Those of you who are using the 622's 2nd output to a 2nd tv, how are you doing it? When I upgrade, I'd like to be able to hook up a tv in our bedroom, but the damn set is nearly 50 ft away from where the 622 will be based.:confused:

Do you mean a 2nd HDTV or just a second TV. If you mean a second HDTV (with mirrored programming of TV1) then you will need to run a component or HDMI cable. If you mean a SD TV then you can just use the coax in your home and output via the home distribution output on the 622.

Do you mean a 2nd HDTV or just a second TV. If you mean a second HDTV (with mirrored programming of TV1) then you will need to run a component or HDMI cable. If you mean a SD TV then you can just use the coax in your home and output via the home distribution output on the 622.

I'm still a little hazy on how the second scenario will work. Right now I have an 811 wired in the basement with one coax from the dish to my HD 811 receiver and I have a very old SD receiver wired by coax from the dish to the family room upstairs but I will be getting a 622 to replace both of these (they will be coming this Friday to replace the existing 500 dish).

From reading on these forums it seems as if they can install the 622 with a seperator in the basement so I can receive both tuners through one coax. Am I understanding this correctly? But how will I be able to use the "TV2 OUT" on the 622 receiver to see programming off of the second tuner on my tv in the family room? Surely I wouldn't have to run composite cables from the basement to the family room would I (it seems as if that is the case from looking at a picture of the back of the 622)?

How does the coax come into play for the second tv(family room)? Is the signal backfed from the 622 back to the dish (on that original coax) and then allowing it to go to the family room tv from its original coax?

Thanks!

Plug the existing coax going to the family room tv into TV2 on the 611. Your good to go.

Where I run into problems is that each tv in the house is homerun on a coax to where the dish is outside, running a new coax from the basement to the family room would be very difficult. I'm guessing that I will need to run a new coax from the basement to where all of the other coaxs meet outside (which will still be a bit difficult) by the dish and from there I could use a splitter to connect to the coax going to the family room (and even to another coax off of the splitter going to the bedroom) for the second tuner? Does this seem about right?

So is the best case scenario where I am going to have to run another coax from the basement no matter what?

Part of Dish'nup upgrade free installation should include a coax connection to the location of your second TV. The output will be SD but you will have full access to all of the features of the 622 including downconversion of the HD channels. Someone else will have to answer about the availability of the OTA features on TV2.

No OTA directly on TV2. You can start recording OTA on TV1 then go to TV2 and watch the recording.

How does the coax come into play for the second tv(family room)? Is the signal backfed from the 622 back to the dish (on that original coax) and then allowing it to go to the family room tv from its original coax?

Thanks!

Yes, they will backfeed the signal on same wire and depending on your setup run it to the other TV. Where does all of your cabling meet up? Wherever that happens you they will connect the backfed line to go to your 2nd room.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yes, they will backfeed the signal on same wire and depending on your setup run it to the other TV. Where does all of your cabling meet up? Wherever that happens you they will connect the backfed line to go to your 2nd room.

Right now I have five different rooms all homerun with coax to where the dish is outside. If I'm getting this correctly my setup will be:

One coax from outside at the dish to the VIP 622 in the basement. This one coax will contain both Dish tuners (and not the OTA tuner) where they will hit a seperator? right before entering the receiver to split both tuners. And then from the "Home Distribution" output of the 622 there will be another small coax going back into the seperator? so the SD signal from the second tuner can be backfed onto the original coax back to the dish.

Now back at the dish where the other four coaxs (from the other rooms in the house) meet up will I be able to use a splitter to feed one or two other tvs with the TV2 SD tuner of the 622? I understand that I won't be able to get HD or OTA HD on the tv(s) but will still be able to watch 480I or recorded material (HD will be downcoverted) on the tv. But how will this connection work outside at the dish to tie in these tvs with the original backfed coax going to the basement. I hope I'm not confusing anyone too much.

If this is correct so then I don't need to run another Coax from the dish outside to the VIP622 in the basement? (unless I want to use one for an OTA antenna outside which right now I'll just use a set of bunny ears inside)

Thanks again for all of the help!

The installer would use a pair of Diplexer's and run tv2 back up the incomng coax that feeds the vip 622.

Attachments

• tv2cro1.jpg
    tv2cro1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 154
Wow, that's nice. Thanks too. I have my install this weekend and that would work for me too.

The CSR told me the 622 has a jack for a OTA antenna. Can I use this to get my locals without subscribing to them and then still be able to record them on the 622?

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm pretty much set up. I had some reception issues on the second tv (grainy picture) but after remodulating with different channels a few times, it looks much better. I might try a little bit more to get a better picture but I'm finally happy with what I have for now.

I was having trouble with the range of the remote on the second tv(uhf), but was able to do the 'splitter trick' and have a set of rabbit ears on the other end of the splitter going into the tv and it now works better.

I'm now looking at getting another remote for the third tv (I have my uhf tuner split across two tvs) off of ebay but wanted to make sure I am getting the correct one. The second remote that I have currently for the tuner is a 6.0 IR/UHF Pro but I would only need a UHF Pro, right? All of the remotes with both IR & UHF cost more so I wanted to go the cheapie route? Are there any models that I need to look for (stay away from)?

Couple more questions, too. Is there an easy way to select which tuner will record on the DVR without having to go to the setup menu and switching the preferred recording tuner everytime you need to switch?

And if I am in dual mode and lets say a program is recording on tuner 1 (which I have set to TV1), is there a way I can easily switch to view the second tuner on TV1 without disturbing the recording? Thanks again for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)