622 with "Warning 981..." screen

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi all. I'm seeing conflicting info as to what this error means; I've never seen it before. Nothing I can do will clear it. One tech had no idea and elevated it to the "Advanced" group. The tech at that level just ordered the replacement, said my HDD took a dump. The previous 622 also had a bad HDD after about 6 years but I could still use the receiver absent any DVR functions. This one lasted less than 2 years and it now locked at this screen. Elsewhere I read that it might be due to a failing LNB and that might be relevant as I completely lost 119 sometime over the summer. I haven't scheduled a service call for that yet pending my time off availability.

Any thoughts? TIA...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Which one is the 981 again? Boot strap recovery? If it is, if this is the first time, it may not even be damaged at all, but it will take up to 4 hours
Consistently Do not unplug or reset for 4 hours.

Might be forced to that by obsolescence before too long, but wasn't planning to in the short term. Not that it matters much in the Grand Scheme, but I "own" the 622...

The 981 is a boot recovery error. It can happen if a receiver is unplugged during a software update. It can take up to four hours to complete the process if it is able to. The only troubleshooting for that error is a reset on the receiver, but if the error comes back we have to let it run its course. Definitely an issue that we would want to troubleshoot and get a tech out if we cant resolve it. Definitely understand about not having the time off, everyone gets s bit busier during the summer. If you want to start a conversation with me or any DIRT member we can run through some quick troubleshooting with you and help get the tech set up when you are ready.

Tks Jason. I'm certain it wasn't unplugged but I can't say there was no other power interruption. If it was needing to D/L anything off 119, that surely didn't happen. What about the replacement? Can I expect the same outcome on startup? Either way, if it doesn't wake up as expected I'll try to get a tech out before I return the suspected defective unit...

Which one is the 981 again? Boot strap recovery? If it is, if this is the first time, it may not even be damaged at all, but it will take up to 4 hours
Consistently Do not unplug or reset for 4 hours.
Yes, bootstrap issues. When I first saw this screen last Saturday the receiver had been idle at least 12 hours. I left it alone for another 6 hours but it didn't clear. So I unplugged it for the requisite 10 seconds but on restart it immediately went to that screen again. Same following an overnight power down. That's when I called...

My daughter unplugged her 612 at an inopportune moment in the middle of the night because she didn't like the noise it makes. Thereafter IIRC we got that error message forever. No amount of resetting or waiting did squat. What eventually fixed it, and fixed it in about 15 minutes, was flipping over the separator. Apparently, at that time, the 612 could only recover from an interrupted firmware update on one tuner. Try that ploy and see if it fixes your 622.

My daughter unplugged her 612 at an inopportune moment in the middle of the night because she didn't like the noise it makes. Thereafter IIRC we got that error message forever. No amount of resetting or waiting did squat. What eventually fixed it, and fixed it in about 15 minutes, was flipping over the separator. Apparently, at that time, the 612 could only recover from an interrupted firmware update on one tuner. Try that ploy and see if it fixes your 622.
Easy enough...I'll give it a try this evening...

Reactions: TheKrell
Easy enough...I'll give it a try this evening...

Well unfortunately the separator cable swap had no effect . I unplugged the 622, made the change, and powered up. The 981 message quickly appeared again and was still there this AM. The replacement receiver arrived yesterday...I'll install it this evening and hope for the best. Incidentally, my 211 w/ ext. HDD has continued working as expected, has no apparent issues without a 119 signal...other than lacking those channels of course. I did notice that my PG only extends 3 days however. I thought it was 9 days on that receiver as well when the HDD is configured...??

I don't think that's right. The 9-day EEPG is only on 72.7 and 119, so if the OP can't get 119, then he will only see the 44 hr EPG. Does anybody know where the firmware is? Perhaps it's on 119 as well.

Tks TheKrell. Actually that's beginning to make sense. I might only be seeing 44 hours or less on my 211 (but possibly spanning 3 calendar days). I'll have to look closer. Something I didn't mention...on the 622 prior to its apparent demise I was seeing a limited PG. I rarely look out further than a few hours so I didn't see this until recently. Seems like another symptom of my 119 signal issue...

I've been poking around in the Dish channel chart, but I can't remember what the firmware data channel is called. IIRC, it too comes off 119. So if 119 is AWOL, that would explain the 981 error too.

I've been poking around in the Dish channel chart, but I can't remember what the firmware data channel is called. IIRC, it too comes off 119. So if 119 is AWOL, that would explain the 981 error too.
I think we can all agree, getting the 119 fixed is going to be important in this situation.
Yep. I pretty well knew about the loss of 119 since mid summer when I started losing 129 HD channels as well and then also couldn't get their alternate SD channels that are often on 119. I resolved the 129 problem myself. With HD restored I wasn't in a hurry to fix 119...guess that's now a priority. In fact I'll deal with that before I swap the receivers. Maybe one remaining question is why it took more than a month after the loss of 119 for the 981 error to show up...??

I'll report back when I get it all sorted out.

Thanks all for your insight. SatGuys to the rescue again...!

The software spools on 119. If 119 was in your switch matrix, then maybe you had signal and then the download started. Maybe that signal dropped out mid download and caused the 981. If you fixed 119, I'm fairly confident the 622 would have recovered.

I'll climb up this weekend to take a look at it. Could be just an alignment issue like I had with 129. I do have a cheap signal meter to assist. A check of cables and connectors might follow. If that doesn't fix it I'll call for a tech. This is one of those times I'm glad I have the protection plan...!

EA was the answer! Dish activated the replacement 622 and sent a crew out on Sunday to solve the problem. No idea what was wrong with 119, but at this point it's moot, might have been a problem with the DPP44. I now have full service on 61.5 and 72.7. Turns out this was inevitable...my DMA is moving to 72.7 before the end of the year so I got a jump on it. Maybe there was nothing wrong with the original 622 but at this point we'll never know. I'm OK with the outcome. Tks all for weighing in...

Last edited: