622's are not dead...

Honestly its because of the new Sling Adapter of why its being done. They expected the Sling Adapter to work with the 622, but in testing found that when the receiver tries running background maintence (such as updating guide, checking timers, checking internet connectivity, etc) that the Sling would not function without a lot of stuttering and dropouts.

Thanks again for this extra detail on Dish's usually inscrutable internal machinations. I have two questions.

What the h%%% are they doing? Scanning ports? All these receivers should have a prioritized interrupt system in the O/S so that video streams take priority over background stuff that can wait. I forgot to say, "Argh." Argh!

OK, 2nd question brought on by the nice detail of the quoted message. Any hope for Sling Adapter support in other VIP receivers, such as the 612 or non-DVRs?

Honestly its because of the new Sling Adapter of why its being done. They expected the Sling Adapter to work with the 622, but in testing found that when the receiver tries running background maintence (such as updating guide, checking timers, checking internet connectivity, etc) that the Sling would not function without a lot of stuttering and dropouts. This is why the Sling Adapter is now only for the 722's as its processor is the next geneeration and that issue does not happen on the 722's.

I also had more problems with Dish Online with my 622,than my 722k...............but my side by side PIP works correctly on my 722k not so on the 622....but my sister-in-law's 722k does not so who knows?.When I asked her if it bothered her about it she stated she doesn't use that feature as long as it records.;)

I have never seen anyone yet who records as much as she does.I told her she needs another DVR or receiver to watch different programs on,because her recordings interrupt regular programming when your watching TV.:eek::rant::D

While they are refurbing all those 622s they should put them in a black case. Just like they do with the refurb 622s they send to Bell.

I have had 622's in black cases.

BTW, I am doing an install on Friday for my neighbor. He is expecting a 722 for the future addition of a sling adapter. I'm sure he is not the only one...

I'd like to see a trade-in value offered for owned 622s toward a 722. I'd consider the upgrade to get the sling capability, for future whole-home viewing options. (My slow DSL obviates any hope on my part of being able to watch my HD library remotely.)...

This idea would be GOOD. I'd also like to see a trade-in value from my owned VIP622, towards a VIP722K model. I'm not talking about a LEASE either.

Other than having no sling capability and a slightly smaller hard drive, and the decrepit HDMI jack if that hasn't been fixed, what's the difference between the 622 and the 722 non-K?

622 can't use the Sling Adapter. Now, imagine your ire when you discover this the hard way and Dish wants you to pay the upgrade to the 722 or "K" for Sling privileges. The 622 has older chip set. That is at the heart, but not the only one, of the differences that are under the hood among the various flavors of ViP box models. Each new version is more capable than the previous in ways that are not always immediate. Always best to get the latest for chip power and other tech enhancements. Also, I don't think the 622 supports VC-1, while all subsequent ViP's can, and this opens your download content possibilities.

Typical of Dish to squeeze to the very last drop, but the major deficit of the 622 not supporting the Sling Adapter is something that a poor unsuspecting sub who wants Sling will have to pay an upgrade to get after believing he may have the state-of-the-art. 622 is no longer such. Charlie is CHEAP!

I still have my hdmi-impaired 622. It has been doing heavy lifting for 4 years. And has sling capability via.... a sling box! :) But as a customer, I would not be happy to get a new one today, just for the smaller hard drive. I don't care about the silver case.

I rolled the dice and luckily got a 722k when I had new Dish service installed last week. I knew I was going to order a Sling adapter and would have been upset if I had to pay to get a 722k. With the Sling, I think it's great they're separating out the 622. It's like on DirecTV, they have three models that are simply "HD DVR" and you could get any of the three, which have varying hard drive sizes and processors meaning different speeds. While you might not want one personally, the average consumer is probably fine with getting a 622 as a replacement model for a non-MPEG4 or for an SD to HD upgrade if they don't plan on getting Sling. And, for the nerds like us, it's good for Dish to do that as it keeps costs down for them to refurb boxes instead of buying new ones.

Here's my guess. Scott can say whether I'm full of it or not.

Dish will come out with a headless 6-tuner whole-house DVR receiver, c. May 2011, called the VIP960. The 960 will be fully Slingloaded, and you get to watch it via either a GoogleTV or internal HDTV equivalent, or a Sling Receiver, or a PC, or a mobile device.

Dish will come out with a headless 6-tuner whole-house DVR receiver, c. May 2011, called the VIP960. The 960 will be fully Slingloaded, and you get to watch it via either a GoogleTV or internal HDTV equivalent, or a Sling Receiver, or a PC, or a mobile device.

...and it will be crippled, due to buggy firmware, that will only be partially tweaked and fixed by c. May 2012. Right after that, the world drops off the Mayan calender, and the VIP 922 will be offered for free.

Dang Krell are you looking in my window again?.I told the wife to get bigger curtains!.;):D

I rolled the dice and luckily got a 722k when I had new Dish service installed last week. I knew I was going to order a Sling adapter and would have been upset if I had to pay to get a 722k. With the Sling, I think it's great they're separating out the 622. It's like on DirecTV, they have three models that are simply "HD DVR" and you could get any of the three, which have varying hard drive sizes and processors meaning different speeds. While you might not want one personally, the average consumer is probably fine with getting a 622 as a replacement model for a non-MPEG4 or for an SD to HD upgrade if they don't plan on getting Sling. And, for the nerds like us, it's good for Dish to do that as it keeps costs down for them to refurb boxes instead of buying new ones.

The question is what can you do with Dish Network that you can't with the "other guys'? :buzz:!.The answer is have a HDDVR(receiver) without an HD package!.Or if you don't want a package you buy the equipment and for a $6. access fee you can get locals only.or HBO only ect.Dish Network is such a versatile service.:)

I upgraded from the 622 to the 722k/w CH.3 output and since I was going to be in a 2 year contract I also went with the HD for Life contract also.Mark me down as one happy Dish Network customer!.:D

I have had such bad luck with the 622... I had my umpteenth 622 die upstairs, so I swapped my 722 in while awaiting for the replacement. When the replacement came, I put it downstairs where the 722 was, in a place that very very rarely gets used. About a month after installing the replacement, I went to use it and it started changing channels, turning off, and... I noticed it recorded a ton of shows I've never heard of. So, away it went again. I am working on Dish to give me an upgrade to a different receiver. I would love for them to just go away so they would have no choice but to give me something else...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)