622's Dishcomm problem...

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I have 2 622's. One upstairs with the phone jack plugged in and the other downstairs. Dishcomm not working for caller ID downstairs but works upstairs. The weird part is Dish Home interactive works on both. Here is what the Dishcomm reports looks like.
Upstairs with phone line.
upstairs.jpg

Downstairs remote.
downstairs.jpg

So the remote receiver is seeing the one upstairs and communicating with it fine (even thought the #s are low) but the one upstairs is seeing itself as Homeplug device. AC for both are plugged directly to the wall and I've tried multiple outlets. Scans and reboots make no difference. I just don't understand why the upstairs receiver is listed as Homeplug device on the one with the phone line connected and why the interactive works on the remote receiver but caller ID does not. Thoughts?

I would suspect it is an issue with the Dishcomm software. I looked at my setup, 1 722 and 3 slingbox adapters and when I run the test I see all 4 devices as they are (3 homeplug and 1 receiver) and it shows them pretty much all as 'poor' yet I get pretty darn good connectivity between them, esp between the 722 and my router for 'slinging' around my house to other computers.

Back when I had 2 receivers the Dishcomm didn't work reliably. I chalked it up to the house I was living, even though it was only 15 years old. My current house is about 5 years newer, and as i said, it seems to work fine to share ethernet via homeplug, even though the Dishcomm test shows the connections as poor.

I'm not sure Dishcomm was ever really "Ready for prime time." It may have been a good idea, but never fully realized by the end users and I don't know if was debugged to work well.

Miner

Thanks for the reply. These 2 worked well together in my previous home with the same software they have now. Since moving to this newer home they don't seem to like to play together at all.

Thanks for the reply. These 2 worked well together in my previous home with the same software they have now. Since moving to this newer home they don't seem to like to play together at all.

Interesting. Compared to the report I get, your connections are good (mine are poor) but for data transfer my homeplug adapters seem to work fine. Perhaps there is an issue with the signal quality that prevents the 2 boxes from adequately identifying themselves. I would think the newer house with 'supposedly' better wiring would work better, but perhaps there is more electrical noise in the wiring that degrades the signal.

Miner

I'm thinking the same thing. The other house was a one level and it worked fine there. This is a two level with one receiver upstairs and one down. I tried different outlets to no avail. The strange part to me is the receiver with the phone cord in it seems to see itself as a Homeplug device. I just don't see how that's possible or how the wiring can have anything to do with that. Oh well, I'm missing the caller ID downstairs is all. Not a huge deal.