622VIP vs 722VIP questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I currently have the 622. I do not have alot of problems except I am on my third unit because the HDMI keeps failing. So If someone has had both units and can answer a few questions for me I would really appreciate the effort.

First, does the HDMI on the 722 work better and hold up better then the 722?

Second, the fan on my 622 runs all the time and it is very annoying as it has become very loud. Is the fan on the 722 quiter?

Can you still record 3 programs at a time while viewing a previously recorded program?

Does the 722 internal OTA tuner work better then the OTA tuner in the 622?

Can you still use an external storage medium with the 722?

Thanks for any answers you guys might be able to give.

Answers in BOLD

I currently have the 622. I do not have alot of problems except I am on my third unit because the HDMI keeps failing. So If someone has had both units and can answer a few questions for me I would really appreciate the effort.

First, does the HDMI on the 722 work better and hold up better then the 722?
I have one of each, had no problems with either
Second, the fan on my 622 runs all the time and it is very annoying as it has become very loud. Is the fan on the 722 quiter?
Are you talking about the start up fan or the regular fan? The startup fan is loud on both, but I can't hear the regular fan unless I'm right beside it. Do you have the 622 in an enclosed area? Maybe it is overheating?
Can you still record 3 programs at a time while viewing a previously recorded program?
Yes the tuner setup is exactly the same. You can record 2 satellite programs, 1 digital OTA program and watch up to two either previously recorded programs or the ones that are currently recording (if in dual mode)
Does the 722 internal OTA tuner work better then the OTA tuner in the 622?
Can't really see a difference in the two.
Can you still use an external storage medium with the 722?
Yes, I have an external hard drive hooked up.
Thanks for any answers you guys might be able to give.

Let us know if you have any followups.

The main differences:
- The 722 is black.
- The 722 has a bigger hard drive.
- There's one chip on the board that is newer but likely won't get used for anything different for a long time.
Other than that they are functionally exactly the same.

If you are hearing fan noise during normal operation then the unit is definitely getting too hot.

Joesp
Note the others have answered the basics. But note that the chip difference allows for VC-1 support. And it has been said that HD from Dish on Demand (i.e via ethernet) will only be available on the 722. Perhaps because they are thinking of using VC-1 (recent reports have said the will use AVC (mpeg4)).

Thanks for the info guys, I might take out the 622 and remove the cover and see if their is dust in the unit (should not be any but dust collects around my house like it is a sieve) and blow it out. I am still thinking about trading up for a 722 -- I would really like to have the extra space.

I hear the fan hours after turning off the 622 so there must be a problem somewhere?

Thanks for the info guys, I might take out the 622 and remove the cover and see if their is dust in the unit (should not be any but dust collects around my house like it is a sieve) and blow it out. I am still thinking about trading up for a 722 -- I would really like to have the extra space.

I hear the fan hours after turning off the 622 so there must be a problem somewhere?

How much is Dish It Up these days?

If all you need is more space, you may be better of paying the external storage fee ($40) and getting an external hard drive. It would also save you the two year commitment.

Just an idea ...

I wouldnt open the thing if it's leased. If it breaks down you may be on the hook for it.

Dusting is a good idea. Might want to use a vacuum, too. Just be very careful not to touch anything.

The 722 has a very loud fan, too. It works when the unit is "off," because it records in off mode, so technical it is never off unless it is unplugged. After a couple of days of living with the fan, I googled "home theater cooling" and found a cheap fan with speed control. It is plugged in to the receivers switched AC so any time I watch TV the fan is on. Have not heard the fan while watching TV since installation.

A really quick cooling fix is to add a USB notebook cooler. You can find them at a local store for less than $20.

And the OTA on the 722 is not very good. My TVs tuner is much better.

The 722 has a very loud fan, too.

So it is actually loud enough for you to hear while you are watching TV? If so there is a heat problem for sure. The only time I hear the loud "airplane taking off" fan noise is when it reboots.

"The only time I hear the loud "airplane taking off" fan noise is when it reboots."

Be careful when saying that, some people on this forum get offended when you say that and believe you're exaggerating. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts