625 2nd hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

breathe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
i thought i posted this before...but can find it so here i am again:
the specs on the 625 say it has 2 hard drives, one for regular dvr, and one for the dish on demand. now ive read you cannot record dish on demand..so what is the point of this hd?

I wonder if anyone will figure out how to change the partitions on the hard drive to where we will have more hard drive space for our recordings or if the receiver will not be able to recognize the extra space because of the software that is brought to the receiver. Would the software repartition the hard drive if a change is detected to the partitions?

even then, what is the point of the 2nd partition if you cannot record the movie? i understand the point of streaming and being able to pause and record but 20gb seems excessive for that.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, is that the VOD programming is recorded to the VOD partition during times of inactivity on a tuner. Then when the full program has been saved (automatically) it becomes avialable to you to watch at any time. You don't have to wait for the show to start as you would with PPV (not counting the fact that you can record PPV anyway and watch that whenever you feel like.) I think the whole marketing idea is that you have the movies 'on demand' because they will already exist on your VOD partition. As this becomes popular, Dish could get rid of a lot of repeat PPV channels and free up bandwidth for HD programming and the likes.

Maybe they don't let you transfer it to your 'My Recordings' partition. I don't know. They could easily just keep your paid VOD program protected from deletion. This is all speculation of course.

I got my "Pictures on Demand" flyer from Dish. Joy, Joy, :rolleyes: for a dollar more than most PPV shows, I can play back immediately something that downloaded without me asking it to on my 625 (sounds like a virus to me). Then, after I order it, I must view it within 24 hours or I have wasted my money. If I start watching it and then pause it because life interrupts for some reason, I must finish watching it within the 24 hour window because it WILL be GONE, whether I got to see it or not. NO THANKS, this is NOT a service that I want. I would much rather have the drive space available for my own programming, so that I can record more of the programs that I WANT to see, including PPV events that will stay on the box for as long as I like.

mudder1310 said:
Nothing keeps you from recording the VOD to a tape or DVD.

Except a 24 hour restriction, and another dollar than if I just programmed it myself to record when the movie is shown on a PPV channel.

I wish they had cheap dvd recorders where you have three or more bays to where it will automatically go to the next bay after its done recording on one or recording a particular show or at a certain time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)