625 Check Switch question

miken2

Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Hi guys,

I have a new DVR-625 that I'm trying to set up with a DishPro Twin LNBF...

In trying to isolate my problem, I'm trying to figure out the meaning of two things:

1) When the Check Switch test finishes, it displayes the message "Warning 530: One of the satellite inputs or switches is not connected properly. Normal operation will be adversely affected"

2) The Check Switch matrix looks like this:

Code:
           [Satellite Input 1 ] | [Satellite Input 2 ]
Port:      [ 1 ][ 2 ][   ][   ] | [ 1 ][ 2 ][   ][   ]
Satellite: [ X ][ X ][   ][   ] | [ X ][ X ][   ][   ]
Trans:     [ X ][ X ][   ][   ] | [ X ][ X ][   ][   ]
Device:    [N.C][N.C][   ][   ] | [N.C][N.C][   ][   ]
Switch:    [     DP Twin      ] | [     DP Twin      ]

What does N.C. mean - "Not Connected"? Should this say "Twin"? If all connections from the receiver to the LNB are good, is this indicitive of a faulty LNB?

Thank you...

nc means no connection to the satellite, in other words your not seeing the satellites wich is what reception error means, what it should say is 119 and 110 All as it already see's the lnbf/switch type.

Thank you...

One other thing, though - assuming that I'm actually not receiving a signal from the satellite, is it still normal to see that "Warning 530" message, or is there something else wrong here? The way the 530 message is worded sounds like there is a physical connection problem, not a signal / reception problem...

These are just generic messages. Don't try to make too much of it. The NC. does not really mean it is not connected, as it is recognizing the DP twin. That means connections are OK. Just no signal at either port.

If you feel this is displayed in error, meaning, that you know there is signal present. Reset box and do another switch check.

Right, I'm just trying to make sure that this message is OK to see:

"Warning 530: One of the satellite inputs or switches is not connected properly. Normal operation will be adversely affected"

The problem is that signal strength is zero. I have the elevation and skew perfect according to my zipcode, and the azimuth is "pretty darn close" - even if it's off by a bit, shouldn't I at least get -some- kind of weak signal, if the equipment is operating correctly? I have a clear view to the sky.

I can not find any information about this Warning 530 message, and whether or not it can be caused simply by there being no signal - it doesn't 'appear' to me to be a signal-related error message, so I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time trying to get a signal, or does this error message mean that something else is wrong?

"Not connected properly" doesn't sound like "No signal", and "Normal operation will be adversely affected" makes it sound like I need to fix this problem first (whatever it might be) before I can hope to have any kind of signal... Just looking for someone familiar with the error / symptoms that might have had a similar experience... I am trying to contact who I bought the LNB from to see if I can exchange it or have them test it out to confirm that it is operational.

miken2 said:
Right, I'm just trying to make sure that this message is OK to see:

"Warning 530: One of the satellite inputs or switches is not connected properly. Normal operation will be adversely affected"

..............It is ok, just means no signal.

The problem is that signal strength is zero. I have the elevation and skew perfect according to my zipcode, and the azimuth is "pretty darn close" - even if it's off by a bit, shouldn't I at least get -some- kind of weak signal, if the equipment is operating correctly? I have a clear view to the sky.

...........No signal until it is near perfect, use the os sig meter to tune.

I can not find any information about this Warning 530 message, and whether or not it can be caused simply by there being no signal - it doesn't 'appear' to me to be a signal-related error message, so I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time trying to get a signal, or does this error message mean that something else is wrong?

...........Most likely nothing else is wrong.

"Not connected properly" doesn't sound like "No signal", and "Normal operation will be adversely affected" makes it sound like I need to fix this problem first (whatever it might be) before I can hope to have any kind of signal... Just looking for someone familiar with the error / symptoms that might have had a similar experience... I am trying to contact who I bought the LNB from to see if I can exchange it or have them test it out to confirm that it is operational.

................Lnb failures are rare, don't worry about warning. Even some nomal situations are shown with a warning screen. :confused:

Streeeeeeeeeetch

Thanks for the reply and assistance...

I've tried using the signal meter to tune it in, but it has never gone above zero - I guess the only other thing to try is adjusting the elevation or skew slightly and try, try again, but there hasn't even been any hint that it might be 'close'.

One other thing I ran into - when I exit all menus I get the message "Your receiver has not yet been authorized" - is this something that I need to do before any of this will work? I'm going to give DishNet a call and see what they can make of it.

By all means try 3 deg up or down. The idea is to catch something. Then the guys on here will take it home.

Staying at zero is not unusual until you get a signal.

Now that I reread posts, it appears you may not have done this before!
A common mistake when using os meter is to watch and turn. This is often not successful. Best is to turn 1 degree, wait three beeps, turn 1 degree, wait three beeps, etc.

This will allow meter to catch signal before you zip by it.

Thanks folks. Finally got a signal - I didn't realize just how touchy it was. I've been fiddling with it all night and have a decent (above 80) signal on both 110 and 119. The only 'odd' thing now is that there is only a signal on the even transponders, zero signal on the odd ones. I'm done for the night and will play more tomorrow.

Ya, miken - you need to get "the touch". Dunno what kind of meter you're using, but if it has a ranging knob, adjust to get the needle in the center and do your peaking from there. Having gotten some decent signal, the nudge technique is now called for.

Lock the dish down and use finger pressure on the edge of the dish to nudge it in one of the four directions to see what happens to the signal. And contrary to what ke4est said, you might have to adjust the skew - but you MUST understand the geometry involved or you could lose it all. Oh - and skew adjust WILL be required if that mast is not perfectly plumb.

miken2 said:
Thanks folks. Finally got a signal - I didn't realize just how touchy it was. I've been fiddling with it all night and have a decent (above 80) signal on both 110 and 119. The only 'odd' thing now is that there is only a signal on the even transponders, zero signal on the odd ones. I'm done for the night and will play more tomorrow.

After download is complete, do another switch check. That should do it.

a second checkswith isnt going to clear up his odd only for transponders, he should be able to see odd and even transponders all the way down to %55 -+, if his signal is above %80 as he says and he's getting odd only transponders then there most likely is now a frequency issue either with the coax or a connection point such as a wall plate or ground block or a switch or possibly a splitter if he is using one.

Aye, the download sits at Acquiring Satellite. I saw in the manual reference to trouble if you 'only get odd transponders', but I'm actually only getting even transponders signal strength for all odd transponders is dead at zero.

I have the RG6 going from the receiver to a wall plate, then to a ground block, then up to the LNB. I have also tried this running RG6 straight from the receiver to the LNB - same result. I got the cable from Home Depot - it says 'swept tested to 3GHz' on the cable.

As long as you have 2 coax runs from the dish to the receiver thats the first important step, the next step is to make sure that the connections are clean. Look at the inside of the fitting and make sure that the center conductor wich is the copper wire sits at or a 1/8 of an inch above the lip of the connector. Next you want to make sure that there is no braiding or shfoil making contact with the center conductor or even close to it, this can cause a similiar problem. The wall plate connections can also cause a problem like this as can the ground block if they are not rated for the frequency as well.

Thanks. I just went and replaced all of the wiring with factory terminated RG6 rated for 2300Mhz, advertised as "for digital satellite installations", and put barrel connectors in place of the wall plate and ground block. Tweaked the dish a little, and have signal strength 100 for 110, and 80 for 119 - even transponders only. Odd transponders still have 0 signal strength. It seems like the software upgrade might be broadcasted on an odd transponder, because it sits at 'acquiring satellite'. I'm going to go out on a little limb and replace the LNB to see if that affects anything...

If I work my way out of the menus, I am able to watch channel 103 (PPV schedule) and one other channel (SIRIUS Music Information) - the other (few) channels that I can access all get stuck trying to acquire the signal.

Well, I got a replacement LNB, hooked it up, came inside and voila, got even and odd, good signal strength on all. Downloading the software upgrade now. Thanks to everyone that lended their advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)