625 DVR certain premium channels scrambled or pixilated

clutchless

Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Alexandria, VA
My old 625 had this issue on Sundance, Ewesterns, a couple other Encore channels, a Couple Starz channels and a couple of Cinemax channels where the reception deteriorated so the picture was scrambled or pixilated with no sound or jerky intermittent sound. Dish tech advised hard drive was dying. Last night I installed a new replacement 625 and now notice I have the same issues with these channels.

I want to get opinions from here before I call Dish tonight about this issue.

Also Dish also offered to swap out and give me Starz in place of Cinemax. Starz appeared but Cinemax is still there, what is going on?

Thank you

go to menu 6-1-1 and check your signal strengths using a 625 suggests it is an old installation that weather has probaly taken it's toll on.

I had 74% signal strength when the new receiver was set up last night. It is a 12 year old Dish outside my house.
No you didn't have 74% that was only the signal strength on one transponder of one satellite. You have 32 transponders on each satellite 110 & 119.

I think my outside Dish may be the issue. On 358 while checking the scrambled signal the complete loss of signal warning appeared momentarily. The following channels are bad: 307, 313, 314, 341, 342, 351, 354, 358, 385. Will Dish replace a worn out broken dish for free?

If you add the service plan it will cost you $15 and a 4 month commitment to the service plan. But remember the dish is only a passive reflector, connectors/LNBF and aiming are far more likely to be problems.

I just inspected the Dish. One of the two screws fell out that hold the little part that sticks out from the big dish part. It wobbles. The screw on the main arm also was loose and that wobbles a bit. I tightened it and reception is the same. I tried adjusting it while the wife watched the TV and it made no difference. I need professional help. Is this type of repair for non functioning equipment something I have to pay for? It appears to me Dish has failed to provide functioning equipment thus I can no longer receive all the channels I pay for and they should fix it for free. It also appears that since the Dish tech who came to my house in February failed to check the Dish itself I probably did not need a new receiver. He was negligent for failing to check the physical condition of the Dish.

As mentioned above the service plan is an option, $7 a month and a tech visit will cost $15. Without the service plan a tech visit is $95. There are a multitude of possible causes of the pixelation, from the LNBF going bad, an improperly tuned or out of tune dish, and deteriorating ground block, damaged cabling (a cable that was nicked or sliced years ago can function fine until the shield deteriorates enough to cause signal issues. Such issues are not always detectable via the point dish screen as the signal strength may be at a passing level but that screen does not indicate decibel loss. In the nutshell call back and request a tech visit, discuss your feelings and see what can be worked out.

2 Dish techs, one a supervisor, repaired my system yesterday, marking it as a no charge trouble call because the first guy to visit in January was lazy and incompetent. It turns out my outside wires and connections were corroded and damaged due to being buried in the ground, reducing the signal. It took them only a few minutes to diagnose. Once they replaced all the wires from the Dish to the house, I had a strong signal and all the channels were present. They advised they knew about the performance deterioration of the tech who was there in January. He never even looked at the Dish or its wires!