625 optical audio problems

msutton

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
625 optical audio problems [SOLVED]

I have two 625 DVR's. One is hooked up in my room with RCA cables for audio out. the other is hooked up in the TV room with an optical cable for audio out. Since L258 software release the audio coming out of the optical port is low, pops and is distorted on all channels. Audio works fine if plugged in through RCA cables. I have switched the boxes to the same effect. I bought a new optical cable. I hooked my DVD player up to the same optical port on the back of my stereo and the DVD sounds great. Leading me to believe it has something to do with the new software L258. Is anyone else experiencing problems with sound from the optical out? Or have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it beside use RCA cables. =) The audio was working fine until about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
I am using the optical output from my 625 into a Sony Surround Sound receiver and the sound is great. I did not notice any change from L255 to L258...I just watched a couple pay per view movies over the holiday weekend and it was simply amazing! Maybe you got a spec of dust on your optical lens?? I bet that could have adverse affects on the output signal??

I've experienced lots of audio drop on my 625 optical. I changed the toslink also but to no good. I've talked to dish support several times but have not really gotten anywhere. I had the problem prior to the firmware update and after.

I'm sending mine back to the dealer and getting a 942.

On edit: I think this problem might not be directly related to the optical but perhaps the encoding and decoding of dolby 5.1.

Last edited:
Solved

Sorry to waste every bodies time. Last night I got home and inspected everything. And one of the post on the center speaker was undone. My wife confessed that she knocked it off the TV while decorating for the holidays. Hooked the post back up and the audio is fine. I guess the receiver was trying to compensate for a missing center speaker and sending the center channel to the other channels thus making it sound awful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts