625 Recording

Coolnate32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
On the 625, when selecting a show to record, if you put new eposide, does it put every show from now on and then not record ones its recorded before, or does it just record shows that are first broadcasts?

I selected the "Dish Pass" for the Colbert Report and when I check the schedule for upcoming recordings, it only shows the first airing for each episode. It also shows the repeats, but they have a red symbol next to them that I guess means it won't record. So far its only recorded each episode what time.

Selecting "New Episodes" from the timer menu will record the first-run episodes ONLY--once and only. New setting will not record that episode again. There is an exception: If the first airing of that episode cannot record due to a priority setting, then the later airing of that episode will be recorded in its place such as the multiple airings of episodes on the same night on the History Channel. However, once that window is gone, it will not record ANY episodes unless it is new.

The info screen for the program usually indicates a new episode by displaying the word "New" at the end of the info. Also, the latest update displays the episode number and the original air date. If the origianl airdate matches the day of recording, then it is considered an "New" episode.

Dish Pass works differently, and will not make a distinction regarding new and repeat episodes. However, if you already have that episode on your DVR or if a record of that event is still in memory history, it will not record that episode. Obvioulsy, after deleting that DVR'd event and once the history memory regarding that episode has been written over, Dish Pass will record that episode again.
I hope that makes sense.

I'm also a newbie on the 625 and I'm not sure what "Dish Pass" is. Could somebody explain how to use it and the advantages of it?

Dish Pass is the global search for events to place in your timers automatically. Dish Pass uses either the title or the the title and info text for a search string that you enter using the keypad displayed on screen. Some of the best ways to use Dish Pass are to enter an actor's name in the search string, and Dish Pass will record every instance (movie, TV program) where that name appears in the info.

Another good use is that you know the name of a movie that you want to record and watch when it comes to TV. So, you enter the name of that movie or TV show, and when one of the channels finally air it months from now, it will automatically be recorded without your having to do anything else. Dish Pass can be limited to search only one channel for your string rather than all the channels. Of course, by now, you can see the the any search string, any words or names that you can fit in the display can be used to match what you are looking for.
Be careful with Dish Pass, however. If you enter too broad a string (Made for MTV's reality show Made) or something that is found on many channels (News, for example) or too common a name, you will overwhelm and max-out your timers and get a ton of recordings you never wanted.

You can un-officially use Dish Pass as a kind of specific search limited to one channel. Just remember to immediatly erase the timers created if you use it in this un-official way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts