625 USB output to laptop for extract?

Mixster

Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
Hi there,
Not yet a member of DISH, but seriously considering. Was looking at the 625 unit and love the DVR. Problem is, I like archiving the season's shows so I can go back and re-watch. I noticed that it's possible to connect the PocketDISH systems via USB to digitally download content (I don't have HD) but is it possible to also do this w/ a laptop? My ultimate goal would be to either store on my computer HDD or on DVD the entire seasons of NCIS, CSI, etc., etc. w/o them taking up all that room. I'd much rather go this route than the whole record from RCA outputs if possible. Please let me know, and thanks in advance for your assistance!
Best Regards,
Mike

The way I understood it is that you can download to the Pocket Dish (after L2.59 SW Update) then upoad to your computer from the Pocket Dish. The files will be encrypted so you can't view them on your computer, but you can download them back to the Pocket Dish and view them on the Pocket Dish or play through your TV...but you cannot upload back to the DVR.

RocketFoot said:
The way I understood it is that you can download to the Pocket Dish (after L2.59 SW Update) then upoad to your computer from the Pocket Dish. The files will be encrypted so you can't view them on your computer, but you can download them back to the Pocket Dish and view them on the Pocket Dish or play through your TV...but you cannot upload back to the DVR.
So - In order to accomplish (some) of what I want - I'd need to use the PocketDISH as my method of transfer, my PC for archival purposes, and then *only* the PocketDISH as a retrieving and viewing platform. I may be stepping over the lines, and if so please say so - but isn't there some way to either remove encryption for play on my laptop - or to allow reloading to the DVR (w/o having to use a go-between device)? Again, thanks for your responses and assistance.
Best Regards & Happy Holidays,
Mike

Even that method does not work, as if you remove a file from your PocketDish (after you copy the file to your computer) then try syncing with your 942 it removes the key necessary to play the recording if you decide to copy it from your PC to the PocketDish again. :(

Mixster said:
So - In order to accomplish (some) of what I want - I'd need to use the PocketDISH as my method of transfer, my PC for archival purposes, and then *only* the PocketDISH as a retrieving and viewing platform.

Until L2.59 is actually released it's hard to say exactly what functionality we'll have.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Even that method does not work, as if you remove a file from your PocketDish (after you copy the file to your computer) then try syncing with your 942 it removes the key necessary to play the recording if you decide to copy it from your PC to the PocketDish again.

Since his question was asked in the context of the 522/625, I think it would be important to point out that the recordings / filesystem on these models is unencrypted.

Software Update

Scott, it seems like you might have some info on the new update required to make the 522 work with pocketdish (USB port). What can you tell us about when it will be ready?

Thanks

The software should be going out today or tommorow. :)

In addition soon they will be releasing software that will turn ANY Dish Network receiver with a USB port into a DVR when using the PocketDish. :D

I love my PocketDish.

Thanks

So when the L2.59 software is downloaded we should be able to transfer previously recorded items on the 522 DVR through the USB port to the Pocketdish?

Thanks for the help!!!

Scott,

Since you seem to be the all knowing Jedi master of Dish...I have a follow-up. The L2.59 did not download and when I called dish about it they explained that it was a "partial phase" and that since my L2.55 was still valid there was no telling when the L2.59 will download. Is this true? How long does it take them to role out new "partial phases" to all recievers?
Thanks for the help!!!

12/28/2005: 1324 Software Version L2.59 for DVR522
Effective Thursday, December 29th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L2.59 for the DVR522 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

XDS Support - Extended Data Service (XDS) Allows any receiver with compatible software to communicate to an external recording device such as a PocketDISH and record to it like a vcr.
At this time L2.58 and L2.59 will be valid software versions for the DVR522.

Go to the first sentence, and there it says: ...PLANS to spool...

So it ain't out yet.

It says "to an external recording device such as" and would that mean that there could be other devices other than the PocketDish that this supports?

Stargazer said:
It says "to an external recording device such as" and would that mean that there could be other devices other than the PocketDish that this supports?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. The reason is, that the Pocket Dish when connected to a PC, is supposed to be handled as an external storage device.
So why not connecting an external storage device, such as USB harddrive to an Dish DVR? Same thing right?

The receiver would have to be recognizing software on the PocketDish right? Isn't the software the only difference between the Dish Network version of the Archos unit and the regular Archos unit?

leodalion said:
Scott,
Since you seem to be the all knowing Jedi master of Dish...I have a follow-up. The L2.59 did not download and when I called dish about it they explained that it was a "partial phase" and that since my L2.55 was still valid there was no telling when the L2.59 will download. Is this true? How long does it take them to role out new "partial phases" to all recievers?
Thanks for the help!!!
So far it spooling for the receivers:
New FW:'L259'
List of Bootstraps and BuildConfigs:
'1[34]1[0-5]' 'GA[E-HJ-LNPQST][A-DJ]'
IRD Model: DP522
List of Serial Numbers:
[2] 1-4000000000
'1[34]1[0-5]' 'GJ[A-JNP-R][A-DJ]'
IRD Model: DP625
List of Serial Numbers:
[2] 1-4000000000

Check your System Info screen see if your receiver belong the partial batch.

"The L2.59 did not download and when I called dish about it they explained that it was a "partial phase" and that since my L2.55 was still valid there was no telling when the L2.59 will download. Is this true? How long does it take them to role out new "partial phases" to all recievers?"

E* doesn't spool software releases to all the receivers, they do it in "phases". They choose batches by serial numbers and if they don't get too many complaints on the phone they move to the next phase or next batch.

When you see Full Phase that means it's going out to all receivers. How long does it take? Only they know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)