625 USB output to laptop for extract?

Looks like L2.59 has been replaced with L2.90 for 522/625. Mine are still L2.55

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/TechUpdates.shtml

01/13/2006: 1110 Software Version L2.90 for DVR 625
Effective Friday, January 13th, Engineering has spooled a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L2.90 for the DVR 625 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

At this time L2.58 and L2.90 will be valid software versions for the DVR 625
At this time L2.55 and L2.90 will be valid software versions for the DVR 522

Would be nice to allow playback if the pocketdish was hooked up to the laptop. This would give the consumer a larger screen to view from. I will just await the slingbox portable that will allow me to change channels anywhere wirelessly. Would you have to have a particular wireless service to use it? Would you have to have a particular slingbox portable unit to use it? Does it use minutes on the phone or just broadband internet that the cell phone companies offer? Can you display the content from the portable unit to the laptop? I suppose one could use the wireless broadband that the cell phone companies have to offer and take their laptops with them to make it portable. I wonder if you could do it on the plane as well or if it would not work with satellite broadband well.

Last edited:
Hi there,
Not yet a member of DISH, but seriously considering. Was looking at the 625 unit and love the DVR. Problem is, I like archiving the season's shows so I can go back and re-watch. I noticed that it's possible to connect the PocketDISH systems via USB to digitally download content (I don't have HD) but is it possible to also do this w/ a laptop? My ultimate goal would be to either store on my computer HDD or on DVD the entire seasons of NCIS, CSI, etc., etc. w/o them taking up all that room. I'd much rather go this route than the whole record from RCA outputs if possible. Please let me know, and thanks in advance for your assistance!
Best Regards,
Mike

Mixster,

Download a BitTorrent Client, and then go to Mininova.org. You can download ANY TV show. The files are usually DIVX (MPEG4) some are higher quality than 720x480 (NTSC). Files are Windows Media Center usable. Most Networks also allow you to download their shows complete with Advertising from their websites.

I Download Doctor Who Episodes one or two days after they air in England (Which is months before they air in the US). I then use a Video Editing software package to convert and burn the media files into DVD format, and save the DVD.

This is a much easier way to get Content than trying to deal with Protection flags built into PocketDish.

copy movies

This it what seems to work but u need to have a linux box, If u take the hard drive out of the unit and plug it in to ur linux os based PC it will pull up 3 active partitions, the first 2 are datebase files for the guide and dvr recordings, and the 3rd has all of the recorded files, they are in a .tsp and can be played in the linux media player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)