6ft channelmaster

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brotherhood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
97w/55n
hi guys
this summer a got a 6ft channel master offset dish for a case of beer,and now i want to put a motor on it so i can replace my 4ft fortec.Is there any mods i could do?
i was going to use a Stab HH120 Motor but the dish is just to heavy,does anyone have pics or ideas to drive this thing?was thinking of using a SMR-1224EL
thank you

I have seen those mounts somewhere on the 'net before, wasn't sure if they were available in the USA, or if anyone on this forum had ever used one?

Looks like that SMR-1224EL also has motorized elevation control.

Has anyone here tried to breed a 6' (or larger) offset dish onto a common prime focus polar mount?

I know it would take some adaptation (if it's even feasible) but that might be an easy way to a way to get an actuator on your dish.

Has anyone here tried to breed a 6' (or larger) offset dish onto a common prime focus polar mount?

I know it would take some adaptation (if it's even feasible) but that might be an easy way to a way to get an actuator on your dish.

Yea, in Europe, they have common adapters to put offset dishes onto prime focus motorized mounts.

And, Turbosat recently did the same thing.
Search back for a thread he started on the subject.

But, the most necessary part, is getting the motorized mount in the first place.
One big enough and stout enough to carry the dish.

Brotherhood - you got a couple of pictures of the dish?
I wonder if they're like the ones ACradio has?
In his sig, he's got a link to his dish farm, with some 1.2 (4') and 2.4m (8') Channel Master dishes.
He might be a good resource for more technical info, or suggestions.

sorry no pics its at the lake,just want to order the parts i need for this project to do in the spring time.

It can be done with some fabrication and patience. Find a c-band dish someplace for the mount, if you can't find just a polar mount somebody doesn't need any more, Once you get it set up to hold your dish securely, then it's just a matter of setting your polar mount to the right angles, and getting that extra 22degrees of offset included in the setup. Set polar mount to proper angles for prime-focus dish, then build in some way to adjust the offset dish downward from the bottom of it's attachment to the polar mount. Once you get that part right-it will track the arc correctly with a regular linear actuator. You can't just adjust the polar mount tracking higher to compensate for the difference-it'll track part of the arc, but not much.

It can be done with some fabrication and patience. Find a c-band dish someplace for the mount, if you can't find just a polar mount somebody doesn't need any more, Once you get it set up to hold your dish securely, then it's just a matter of setting your polar mount to the right angles, and getting that extra 22degrees of offset included in the setup. Set polar mount to proper angles for prime-focus dish, then build in some way to adjust the offset dish downward from the bottom of it's attachment to the polar mount. Once you get that part right-it will track the arc correctly with a regular linear actuator. You can't just adjust the polar mount tracking higher to compensate for the difference-it'll track part of the arc, but not much.

Yes, indeed!

Anole pointed me to the thread where you did exactly that:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/100414-new-project-primestar-polar-mount.html

There's a decent probability that a 6' Prodelin may fall from the sky (or a roof ;) ) into my hands.....if it happens I will be attempting to marry it to a prime focus C-band polar mount w/linear actuator, yours was a very cool project. :up

There's a decent probability that a 6' Prodelin may fall from the sky (or a roof ;) ) into my hands.....if it happens I will be attempting to marry it to a prime focus C-band polar mount w/linear actuator, yours was a very cool project. :up

I'm going to do the same thing. I have first crack at a 1.8M Prodelin that was on a now defunct car dealership...I just have to get it off the roof...

I'm going to do the same thing. I have first crack at a 1.8M Prodelin that was on a now defunct car dealership...I just have to get it off the roof...

I whish I had a 1.8 or 2-meter when I built my H to H mount for a 1.2 meter, AC you're 1 luckey guy.

Hi Brotherhood, yes it can be done, did 1 here with a 1.2-meter CM dish, an what Turbo told you is right on track to tune the dish for the arc. also a little playing with the offset angle an the elevation of the c-band mount you can get it to track perfect.

Now this is what I did here. had a Horizon to horizon mount from a 12-foot CFI mesh dish, then cut the azmith bar to acept 2-1 1/2" box tube stainless bars, bottom bar for the offset dish will be its pivot point, for it elevation of the offset angle. top bar or you're high side of you're azmith bar, cut both ends on a 45 an drilled a 5/8 hole in them to have 2-5/8" treaded rods going tru them for the adjustment of the offset angle of the dish. now when doing all this remember metal moves with heat an the 2-bars need to be in line with each other an level with the top of the azmith bar, i just tacked welded all to my table, then when all the welding was done cut the tacks louse. now the mount was done, an then built 2 bars to bolt to the dish, I used 1 1/2" stainless angle drilled it to acept the bolt holes of the reflector an welded 4-taps on the other cornersof the 2-angle iron, now the bottom 1 1/2" angle (pivot point) have a 1/2" bolt going tru it, an on the top 1 1/2" angle bar had to make the hole e-long gated, because as you raise the elevation of the dish on the mount it came into a bind with the 5/8 threaded rods. now at the end of the treadeded rods ( 2 of them) I tig welded 1" long 1/2" sec#20 ID tubing on to the ended of the 5/8" treaded rods, so had a 1/2" bolt going tru it that bolted to the top 1 1/2" angle on the dish. an when I 1st put it all together an ran it, an it tracked reall good on the arc, an boy was I surprised, but after playing with both the offset adjustment an the elevation of the H to H mount was able to get it perfect.

I just whish had a digtal camera so can post picture's of the mount would make things alot easyer, but don't even know how to upload a picture, so thats another learning curve.

now I bet I got about 40 hours in cutting, weding an figuring it out, an unless you can weld an work metal, or have a deep pocket to pay a welder to this may not be worth it. an the hole mount that I built was all out of stainless steel. but I am very happy with that set up. the problem that I have now with it is the return count from the read switch, running a magnet wheel from the worm gear (almost like the birdview set up), now working on a small transmission to come off the worm to step up the counts. It orginaly had a 10K pot that was used on that mount so just about all has been hand made.

Now the hole secret to get it to work is making the offset angle of a polar, or H to H mount to have a real fine adjustment that adapts it to the offset reflector, because all those mounts are for a prime focas reflectors with a 2 to 8 degree (that was cut off an dicarded) offset, most of you're offset dishes start at 22 an may go to 27 degrees of offset angle of the lnb. an when you start peakin it in, just treat it like you will set up a c-band nothing different. when I 1st started this thought it was going to hard but all in all was not bad to get it up an running, was a lot easyer in the tracking than i thought.

Good luck on you're project hope it all come out great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)