7/6/2011 1:46pm - Uplink Activity Report - 173 changes

Dish has plans to do the opposite, convert national beams into spotbeams since the bird at 119 is not running at full spotbeam capacity at this time.

What does that mean in terms of our current national HD programming? If they convert national beams into spotbeams, wouldn't we lose some national programming?

What does that mean in terms of our current national HD programming? If they convert national beams into spotbeams, wouldn't we lose some national programming?

Once they convert from QPSK to 8PSK on WA they will go from about 32 megabits a TP to 40 megabits, they will consolidate the TPs to gain space. Then going from MPEG2 SD to MPEG4 SD will allow them gain almost double space.

No loss of national programming at all. Just one small key factor to make the transition happen. ;) All of the receivers on WA have to be 8PSK compliant for the first transition then the second transition they have to be a VIP receivers...just like EA requires.

Yeah they've been trying to replace the legacy receivers with 311s so everyone will be ready for the 1st transition to 8PSK only. Although, to me if Dish really wants to get a jump start on converting WA to MPEG-4 only, then I think Dish should only install VIP receivers to ALL new customers from now on (doesn't matter if it's SD or HD) That way Dish would only have to deal with the MPEG-2 only receivers that are already out on the field. And when an MPEG-2 receiver needs to be replaced, Dish could replace it with an equivalent VIP receiver (example: broken 625, replace it with a 722) At least this way, Dish will make some more progress with the transition and they can convert WA to MPEG-4 sooner.

Yeah they've been trying to replace the legacy receivers with 311s so everyone will be ready for the 1st transition to 8PSK only. Although, to me if Dish really wants to get a jump start on converting WA to MPEG-4 only, then I think Dish should only install VIP receivers to ALL new customers from now on (doesn't matter if it's SD or HD) That way Dish would only have to deal with the MPEG-2 only receivers that are already out on the field. And when an MPEG-2 receiver needs to be replaced, Dish could replace it with an equivalent VIP receiver (example: broken 625, replace it with a 722) At least this way, Dish will make some more progress with the transition and they can convert WA to MPEG-4 sooner.

I know a buddy of mine several months ago ordered a system for 4 TVs...all SD. His locals are on WA and they gave him VIP equipment.

I am a tech with southern star "rsp" for dish network in little rock
We have been installing all mpeg 4 equipment for at least a year now except on "flex" accounts
And just a couple of months ago we started replacing legs and 301 for 311's as previously stated I didnt see how it free up band width as we were told I figured the only way we could free up space would be to go all mpeg 4 but them again I don't understand all the lease agreements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)