7 Years with Dish. Boy How Things Have Changed.

nope. I didnt know much about installing these and I learned a oh so hard lesson about offset dishes....the fact that installing part of it under the "roof" above the deck isnt gonna work. Oh and a plumb pole is necessary ;)

This was the old school D500...with 2 single output LNB's and a SW21

nope. I didnt know much about installing these and I learned a oh so hard lesson about offset dishes....the fact that installing part of it under the "roof" above the deck isnt gonna work. Oh and a plumb pole is necessary ;)

This was the old school D500...with 2 single output LNB's and a SW21
Those were the days.... :eek::D

LOL, I used to be the "gadget guy" who everyone used to come to when they couldn't get their VCR to quit flashing 12:00 or wanted to record one channel while watching another.

Now I'm just the grumpy old man who doesn't do Facebook or Twitter (I guess that means I'm not a twit :)). I just never got into all the portable/hand-held stuff. All of my best stuff is in the living room... not my pocket. I still have a Krazr, and I never setup voice mail. If it rings & I don't answer, that's the end of it.

I think all the texting devices have ruined our manners. I just think it's rude to never really be with the people that you are with (ever seen 2 people setting at the same table in a restaurant, and they're both ignoring each other... just a texting away?). But that's my age showing again.

I always thought I was a pretty nice guy who just happened to like techie stuff. But now I'm convinced that I'm just a grumpy old throwback.

Cheers

Dang, are you talking about me? Clients are still freaked out that I am not involved with any type of social networking. Have owned an I.T. consulting company since 99, and there is just some technology we will not embrace.

No, you're not grumpy at all. You just prefer to actually hang out with the people you know rather than pseudo-communicating with people you really don't know. Yeah, I do text but it's basically to make sure my kids get to and from school OK.

Agreed. FB and the likes are just asinine. Go out and actually talk to people- use a phone to actually talk to someone! It is amazing how rude and clueless most of the younger generation is. You know we are working backwards as a society when things like this happen:

LOL, OMG,

**I love my computer. It's where my friends live.**:facepalm

see sig...Rant over.........:dead

It has been interesting. Started with D* then looked into E*, back in the day when the Dish 300 was interchangeable with D*. E* clearly has the better hardware. Let's hope they do not screw it up.

So this week marks 7 years that I've been with Dish. Looking back, I realize that a lot of things have changed since then so I thought I would post some fun facts about what has happened since I joined Dish. For the sake of time, I'll just focus on the most popular topic here on Satelliteguys: Technology.

- I remember the 1st Dish install  back in 2004 like it was yesterday getting a brand new Dish 500 with a brand new 522 DVR connected to my two SDTVs. Upgraded to HD in 2008 getting a Dish 1000+ and a 722 DVR connected to my 1 HDTV and my 1 SDTV. (Never had a 622) Now I got 2 HDTVs connected to a 722k DVR with obviously SD to my 2nd HDTV.
- I signed up getting the Everything Pak bundling with AT&T. The price for the everything pak was $85.99/month (And I believe that was the regular price. Don't remember the what the promotional price was.)
- When I signed up for Dish, I still had dial-up. Upgraded to DSL 3 months later and never looked back.
- I was still using an old HP computer running Windows 98. That's long gone. Got a new Dell in'06 running xp, now running windows 7.
- In 2004, only 7% of American households had an HDTV and there was only a few HD channels. Now HD has pretty much become the standard when it comes to TV.
- By Oct. 2004, Apple had sold about 6 million Ipods. There was no such thing as an iphone or an ipad or Android phones, but can you imagine living without one today?:)
- One of the most popular cell phones in 2004 was the Motorola Razr. Blackberries we're just starting to come along. Nobody had ever heard of 3G yet or even the term "smartphones."
- Blu-Ray wasn't invented yet. About 2/3rds of U.S. Households had a DVD player. (Unknown how many still had a VCR)
- There was no such thing as social networking. Myspace, Facebook, and Twiiter weren't around yet. Again, can you imagine living without them today?:)
- The most popular video game console was the Playstation 2. Xbox 360 would be released a year later.
- Desktops were still outselling laptops, but laptops sales were growing. Now the PC market is pretty much stale as Ipad sales continue to grow.
- You couldn't stream movies via Netflix. Nowadays, there are TVs and Blu-ray Players that can connect to the internet and you can now pretty much watch movies anywhere. Did you imagine being able to do this 7 years ago?
- There were 9000 Blockbuster Stores in 2004. Now Dish has bought BB and now streams movies to our Dish receivers. Again, did you imagine being able to do this 7 years ago? I sure didn't.

That's pretty much all I can think of.:)
When you get to my age you will wish you had all the time you wasted typing this back. :D

Wow ... I have had Dish since February of 2001, when America's Top 100 was $19.99 a month ...

I have an iPod Touch 64 GB ... I feel like I'm wasting it. I have no music installed. I only use it for surfing the Web.

I have an iPod Touch 64 GB ... I feel like I'm wasting it. I have no music installed. I only use it for surfing the Web.
I'll buy it from you. My iPod 40GB Classic just recently crapped out. Plus, I need more space for my music. ;)

SQUEEZON said:
Then of course there are people like us who purchased a Dish system in 1994 and set it up ourselves using a small compass from a crackerjack box!!! (even today I missed the correct position on the dish by only 1 degree)!!

I think that is about when I started. I recall that Dish just reached 100k subscribers shortly after I signed up! And yes, they sent me the dish and receiver and wished me luck.

7 years ago digital cable was just introducing On Demand in my area. It was a few of the premiums. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing. Now I see it as a reason to be a couch potato. How having kids will change your perception on things.

Been with Dish about 14 years. Ordered my 1st dish and receiver rom an outfit in New Hampshire. Installed it myself. Came with a compass for aiming. Had a 2000 and a 1000 receivers. Had a BUD till about 3 or 4 years ago. Started with a Huston Tracker 9+. Upgrades to a digital ird 4DTV after a power surge fried the HT 9+.

I found a scanned document of my initial install dated 9-1-01...a Dish 501/301 setup. Ironically, I just upgraded to HD on 8/30 this year, almost exactly 10 years to the day after first signing up. During that time I think I've owned only a 501/301, then a 625, and now a 722.

In another thread on here a while back, I outlined my billing and programming that I've had over the years.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/261867-dish-down-memory-lane.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)