72.7 and 77 on a Dish 500

I am as sure as can be without trying it, that 61.5 and 72.7 can be hit with a d500 (11.2 degrees is only a little unreasonable) with another single LNB on a wing dish at 77. It's a much better idea to use a 1000.4 dish, as it's not much heavier than a d500.

I am as sure as can be without trying it, that 61.5 and 72.7 can be hit with a d500 (11.2 degrees is only a little unreasonable) with another single LNB on a wing dish at 77. It's a much better idea to use a 1000.4 dish, as it's not much heavier than a d500.
well somebody go and try it for gods's sake!
inquiring minds want to know.

If you are reading (sometimes) you will find here it was done on D500 and custom (hehe) mount. Other site [dbstalk] have reports about using D500 for 61.5 and 72.7.

Coincidently, I was fooling around with that setup last weekend. (yes I had too much time on my hands)

Using the settings from this site:
Satellite look-angle calculator

I got signal strengths of 64-70 0n 61.5, but 72.7 was down around 45. Then I tweaked the skew to give 72 a little more gain (taking some away from 61.5) and repeaked.
Now signals from both sats are solidly in the 50-60 range.
I did notice one little oddity, however. The receiver would not download the program guide, but I'm 99% sure that's because I was using a 311 receiver as a test rig so it couldn't download the mpeg4 guide from 72.7
When I get a chance, I'll hook a 211 to it and see what happens.

Other than that it was a regular Dish 500 and DP Twin...no modifications.

Also keep in mind I'm located in FL, so results may vary as you head West.

Correct info about EPG/EEPG.

EPG data accumulation doesn't depend of receiver model;
any tpn yet home have next couple hours of EPG;
home tpn provide EPG data for 1-2 days;
EEPG (seen so far on 119W tp18 and last months also on 72.7W tp21 ) - 7...9 days.

We had the info for long time here, btw.

Coincidently, I was fooling around with that setup last weekend. (yes I had too much time on my hands)

Using the settings from this site:
Satellite look-angle calculator

I got signal strengths of 64-70 0n 61.5, but 72.7 was down around 45. Then I tweaked the skew to give 72 a little more gain (taking some away from 61.5) and repeaked.
Now signals from both sats are solidly in the 50-60 range.
I did notice one little oddity, however. The receiver would not download the program guide, but I'm 99% sure that's because I was using a 311 receiver as a test rig so it couldn't download the mpeg4 guide from 72.7
When I get a chance, I'll hook a 211 to it and see what happens.

Other than that it was a regular Dish 500 and DP Twin...no modifications.

Also keep in mind I'm located in FL, so results may vary as you head West.

I used to get 119 and 129 on a Dish 500 up in Seattle, so I figure the 11 degrees between 61 ad 72 would probably work as well. I just swung my old (24") dish from 61 to 129 to pick up the new Corpus Christi locals (next week). One of these days I'll get back to a single 1000, but for now 2 dishes is easy.

Miner

EPG data accumulation doesn't depend of receiver model;
I didn't think so, but as long as 72.7 was included in the switchcheck, it wouldn't update the guide. It would try for about 2 seconds and then vanish from the screen with No Info for every channel. When I blocked 72 and ran the switch check. it WOULD download the guide from 61.5. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

We had the info for long time here, btw.

I knew it can be done and has been done. I've read the posts. I don't live in an EA DMA, so it doesn't do me any good. I just wanted to see if "I" could do it.

I can tell you why - internal algos using tpn table sorted by TID, so if your config included 61.5 (TIDs in 2xx range) and 72.7 (9xx) the box will take EPG from 61.5W. Actually I'm lost in your wording ...'mpeg-4 guide from 72.7'
There is other consideration - is that EEPG at 72.7 doesn't have problem ?

Last edited:
The spacing on an old SuperDish was 105/110/119 and 110/119/121. Perhaps if someone used the 105 SuperDish eye that was used for 110 on a Dish500 for 72/77 that it would be pretty close to the same seperation? Perhaps even remove the 105 lnb and replace it with a DP lnb to pickup 72 and keep the 110 lnb on there to pickup 77. You have a larger dish to help pickup both slots and one could attach another eye to pickup 61.5

Interesting discussion! Now on a somewhat related note, I have a Dish 500 on 110/119, and another Dish 500 on 61.5 with just 1 LNB, connected to the 110/119 dish. If I was to put a regular "2-headed" LNB on the 61.5 dish and line up for 2 sats, would the "LNB in" of the first dish accept signal from 2 more orbitals or not work at all?:confused:

A DP Twin is only rated for a total of three LNBs, two internal and one external. If you need four orbital locations, you need a multiswitch.

61.5 & 72.7 w/Dish 1000 & DP Twin to 1000.2 Input

Will this get all five sats through the built-in switch matrix of the 1000.2 to the receivers?

Pretty sure you'll need some external switches to pull that off. I believe the internal switch on the 1000.2 is equivalent to a DPP43 (4 orbital locations and three outputs). What would be the point of it anyway?

Just tinkerin' and thinking out loud.

Just an update: :)SUCCESS:)

I repositioned dish between 61.5 & 72.7 (much closer to 72.7) and tuned for a 50+ lock on 61.5 and a 46+ lock on 72.7 for the twin lnb. The second dish was positioned for 77.0 and fed into the "in" port of the twin lnb. Thw signal strength for 77 locks in the 25-30 and I cant peak any better than that. Must be a weaker sat. But everything works fine---at last and I have my locals in HD without the 1000.4 dish system:):). Thanks to all that helped

My zip is 17022---Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania. I did not try that because both 61.5 and 72.7 signals looked pretty good. Just 77 looked a little on the weak side

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)