720p or 1080i question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scrib

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
My Sony LCD has 720p (1280x720) native resolution. I was watching both MNF (720p) and the Cubs on WGN (1080i) last night and the both looked GREAT!!! OTA, btw...

It seems that when you configure the HD TiVo, it asks you what is should output to. So I'll obviously select 720p.

But what happens when a signal comes in natively at 1080i, like the Cubs game? Will the TiVo convert the signal down to 720p and then send it to my HDTV at 720p? Won't that make the picture look bad? Do I need to into the menus and switch between 720p and 1080i each and every time the signal switches in order to get a better picture?

I'm confused.

the tivo remote has a shortcut to change resolutions. In the menu put the checkmarks for the signal outputs you want and then use the arrow up button on the tivo remote to change resolutions

watch in the resolution that looks best to you. It is different depending on each tv.

if you want to change often, the tivo remote has a shortcut to change resolutions. In the menu put the checkmarks for the signal outputs you want and then use the arrow up button on the tivo remote to change resolutions

My advice is let it output it at whatever the native mode is. Because your TV is 720P, it'll down convert automatically anyway. And my experience has been that sending the native signal and letting the TV handle it looks better then forcing 720P on the set top box.

But how do I know what the native mode is for each channel, each program?

Scrib, I agree with JefferyDJ,
I do not have a Tivo unit but if the Tivo has an option for Native, use it, let your Sony decide what to do with it, the Sony's has a much better prossesor in it.
BTW what Sony do you have ?

Jimbo

I can't seem to find a "native" mode. You evidently have to pick a mode yourself...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)