721 Bugs... Are these known? & Where to report them?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdmcs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Charlottesville, VA
I am the proud owner of a 721 receiver and the owner of two 301 receivers. (The 301's just aren't much to brag about.) I am overall happy with my 721, after all I ge two tuners and no DVR fee...

However, being a Test Design Engineer, where my daily job is to find bugs in my employer's products, I find it hard to ignore bugs in any product. Being paid to break things, that's fun. Trying to ignore product defects while not on company's time, that's hard.

[And no, I do not work for D*, E*, or V*.]

Here are the bugs that I have found that I am not sure have been noted on the forums. The receiver should be running L1.74:

1. I can hide locked channels from the Guide and View banners on the 301 receivers. I can't find a similar setting on the 721, there is no reason the 721 can't do the same -- without having to create a favorites list. (If I have simply missed the setting for this, then would someone please set the record straight.)

2. If you set a timer for a channel and one of the tuners is currently on that channel, then the 721 changes the other tuner to the same channel for the timer event. Why can't it use the one tuner already on the same channel? (Maybe this should be a setting, there may be reasons why you wouldn't want to do this.)

3. I left my receiver on all day tuned to channel 29 (local NBC), so one of the tuners had been buffering this channel for a while. I have a DVR event set for that same channel at 9PM (The Apprentice). The other tuner was changed to the same channel to record the event. I got home at 9:10 PM and procceded to rewind the show back to the beginning using the tuner that was active, which was the tuner that had been buffering "all day". When I started playing the channel back, I lost the audio and the video was mildly choppy. (I do not believe that DD audio was being used.) I went back to live TV on this tuner and the sound returned. I changed the current tuner to another channel and then switched to the recording tuner and rewinded back to the beginning. I did not lose sound and the video was playing normally. Why? [Here is the reason why I think #2 is a bug. Obviously the 721 doesn't like having both on the same channel with one recording.]

4. On channel 100, the graphics flicker. But only on channel 100, and my 301's do it, too.

I do apologize if these bugs have already been discovered, but I couldn't find them reported anywhere.

Also, is there an email address or another dedicated method that E* uses for bug reports? If not, I'll just have to email the CEO address and report my bugs. I'll also let them know that I do enjoy my 721 and think its a shame that they didn't make more like it.

1. That functionality was never implemented in the 721 or the older 4-digit recievers. Only some of the newer model have it. Since it is not advertised for the 721 it can't be considered a bug.

2. Having the recording take place using the unused tuner is better IMHO. This allows the viewer to flip between shows using the tuner he is already on without hitting PIP-Swap. So that can't really be considered a bug either.

3. That's a known issue. Iv'e even seen it with only 1 tuner being used. Some people reset their 721 on a regular basis to avoid it. I generally get past it by going back to live then rewinding again.

4. Set up a friends 721 the other day, and didn't notice any graphics flickers on channel 100 (721 defauts to 100 when initially set up).

As a long time 721 owner MHO is that DISH does not give a hoot about the 721 or its owners anymore. I gave up a long time ago reporting bugs to them, they just dont give a ****.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)