721 Dead - What's the best replacement - Buy/Lease

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I have a 721 that I bought when they first came out. It's got a bad SAT 2 in. I also have a 622 that I also bought. (Yes, I tried the 622 inputs on the 721 and input 2 is still dead)

Anyway, the logical thing to do is get another 622 to replace the 721. However, I can't decide whether to lease or buy. I called Dish, and was told that I could lease a 622, but it would cost me $150 plus the $6 per month lease fee, and I have to have a tech come and hook it up!!!!

This to me is ridiculous. Why do I need to sit home and wait for a tech to replace a receiver that has all the connections in place???? MORONS!

If I buy one I can install it myself. Go figure.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Why do I have to pay $150 up front if I'm leasing? Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to BUY a 622?

What would you guys do.

Dishtore.net has them for $479.

Think of it this way:

Cost $479

Lease $150+$6 per month.

It would take the leased unit 54 mo's to equal the cost of the bought unit.

I personally would lease it because if it breaks they just give me another. The risk of the cost is up to you.

If you already have a 622, then you can insist that they just send you the second 622 without an installation.

If your CS rep won't do it - ask for a supervisor.

Alternate ploy - call technical support - tell them that your 721 is broken and "I want to replace it with a second 622 - can you handle that for me?". If you can give the tech the impression that you can do the replacement yourself, they should be able to just send you the 622 without scheduling an installation.

My 921 died last week and the guy (reading from a script) almost shipped me a 622, then read the (wrong for me) page and wanted to send a tech... nope, I took the 921 and its purring away, I'll eventually replace it with another 622 but for now I'll survive...(I should have played CSR roulette)

If you already have a 622, then you can insist that they just send you the second 622 without an installation.

Alternate ploy - call technical support - tell them that your 721 is broken and "I want to replace it with a second 622 - can you handle that for me?". If you can give the tech the impression that you can do the replacement yourself, they should be able to just send you the 622 without scheduling an installation.

I'll try that. I just hate to sit around waiting for a "tech" to come in and make a few connections that I could do in my sleep.

Thanks to all for the tips!

If you're paying the DPP, you can call Dish and have them replace the 721 with another one. I'm sure that in the next couple of years or so they will have a very good upgrade deal for 721 owners.

Unless, of course, you need the HD output today. Keeping the 721 saves you the DVR fee. I wouldn't get the ViP622 if you don't need the HD in the near term. Cheaper to do it later.

BTW, owners will have to pay a monthly fee almost the same as the lease fee. No savings there, IIRC. Owning basically means you don't pay the upfront lease fee and you have some residual value to sell.

BTW, owners will have to pay a monthly fee almost the same as the lease fee. No savings there, IIRC. Owning basically means you don't pay the upfront lease fee and you have some residual value to sell.

So if I were to purchase a 222 I would still pay $6 lease fee? That's just wrong.

No, it's not a "lease" fee. I think they call it something else, and maybe it's $5. Just don't remember, and no time to look it up now.

Unless it was a second, third, etc. receiver. The 222 would have no DVR fee, not being a DVR. The 622 would.

No, there is no lease fee on a bought receiver.

It is cleverly renamed "Additional Receiver Access Fee." Everyone pays the $5 "fee" no matter how you try to dodge it. However, never more than one of the fees are billed. No one should be paying both a "Lease Fee" and an "Additional Receiver Access Fee." Just one or the other. They want $5 dollars from ALL OF US for each and every box on our account. In the case of an HD box, it is $6.

All first time 622 installs require a pro-install. I'm not sure as to why, but what Chuck wants Chuck gets.

In my case my 721 went down so they sent me another and while I was on the phone activating it I struck a deal on a 622 to replace it.The way they explained it to me there is no advantage in owning one.If you own 6.00 extra receiver fee,if you lease 6.00 lease fee, no extra receiver fee.
Anyway they shipped me the 622 and I replaced my new 721 they had sent me. Now I will sell the 721 and recoop some of my money I have been out. Also the nice tech is going to give me 10.00 off my bill for 10 months since I was an early adapter on my first 622 I bought before the rebate started. Plus a 50.00 rebate on the leased receiver.
I am very pleased with the way treated me, also I have been a customer since Nov. '96 and never been late on a bill and it is nearing 150.00 per month.

It is cleverly renamed "Additional Receiver Access Fee." Everyone pays the $5 "fee" no matter how you try to dodge it. However, never more than one of the fees are billed. No one should be paying both a "Lease Fee" and an "Additional Receiver Access Fee." Just one or the other. They want $5 dollars from ALL OF US for each and every box on our account. In the case of an HD box, it is $6.

BINGO!

I have a Dish PVR 721 with a dead hard rive.

Does anyone know where I can get an HD image so I can replace the hard drive myself with a larger one?

i already cracked the "tamper" seal inside, so I believe they won't fix it for me now.

UPDATE: I called again today and was taken to school by a genious CSR who knows everything there is to know about everything. He quickly told me that I did everything wrong, my 721 was probably OK, and that I should have a service guy come out and check it out.

I promptly told him to deactivate the 721 and I would live with the 622 I already have by itself. This will save me the $5 a month.

Of course, when I first called, I got the message that I was "one of our most valued customers".

Good grief.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)