721 disk failure/replacement

drufus2002

Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
My dvr 721 just had a disk failure. I have removed the disk and tried to access it on my windows machine - no cigar. I moved it to my linux machine and I can read it just fine.

Given that its a Maxtor drive I am kinda surprised it has lasted as long as it has (5 years!). I have read a thread that says that I must clone the first partition. They did it with ghost (norton). This is a windows program. So now I have a little problem in that windows will not recognize the drive.

If anybody had ANY thoughts on this (be kind!) I would truly appreciate them.

I am reasonably familiar with computers, replacing drives, etc. but am really not up to snuff on Linux even though I do have a linux (mandriva) machine.

Thank you...............

Try the Yahoo group dishmod. They have instructions for replacing drives in older (and newer) Dish DVR's.

Thanks for the reply

He can do it easy - run Ghost from MS-DOS bootable floppy/CD.

Ghost - Norton Ghost?

Won't really make any difference because my windows machine will not recognize the drive (although my Linux machine reads it just fine)

Again - thanks for the reply!

Confused

I am, obviously, confused. If my windows (w2000) machine will not recognize the drive how in the world can I do ANYTHING with it?

I hooked it up, incidentally, to a USB port.

Just curious.............

Thanks.........

NOW the I get it! (I think). I will have to hook the drive to ide connector cable and then boot up in DOS and it should be fine. I will make a run at that tomorrow. Now I have to find a program to grable the first partition. I have issues with symantic but there seems to be a lot of them out there - just have to look around.

Thanks again for the reply and I apologize for not paying attention!

Windows can't read it because it is LINUX partitions.

Ghost doesn't care, build Ghost boot floppy as Smith suggests, then Ghost will recognize it.

Are there issues with drive size? Does the replacement drive has to be the same size or will any additional space just be ignored?

There are a lot of different scenarios possible; hopefully I've gotten my point across.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts