721 DVR recording to DVD possible?

Paul73

Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I just purchased a Dishnetwork DVR721, but have not hooked it up yet.

Just from reading the manual it does not appear possible to record any of the progams recorded on the hard drive to a stand alone DVD recorder.

Is this the case?

Thanks for your responses......

No, that is not the case. You can hook up the s-video (or composite video) and L/R audio cables to your DVD recorder and transfer your stored programs to DVD.

Bill R said:
No, that is not the case. You can hook up the s-video (or composite video) and L/R audio cables to your DVD recorder and transfer your stored programs to DVD.

That makes sense - the fact there appear to be no editing features built into the 721DVR made me think I could not oputput the signal to another unit - but in fact there are outputs on this unit that allow me to do so.

Guess I will have to do any program editing with the DVD recorder after I
transfer the program to the DVD/recorder.

Paul,

Yes you could do it that way but you also could edit while you record to DVD. If you are watching the program while recording to DVD just hit the pause button (on the DVD recorder) when you don't want to record that part of what you are playing back from your 721.

By the way, I have switched to just using RW DVDs (mine uses DVD +RW). The price has REALLY dropped in the last few months (under 60 cents per DVD when purchased in bulk). They can be erased and re-used about 1000 times. It is surprising how many things I have put on DVD +R and now I wonder why I did that. A program that may be a "keeper" now might not be something that you think is a "keeper" in a year (or even a month). Using ALL RW disks solves that problem.

Paul73 said:
That makes sense - the fact there appear to be no editing features built into the 721DVR made me think I could not oputput the signal to another unit - but in fact there are outputs on this unit that allow me to do so.

Guess I will have to do any program editing with the DVD recorder after I
transfer the program to the DVD/recorder.

Name a PVR that actually HAS editing features, and I will buy it.

Paul73 said:
I just purchased a Dishnetwork DVR721, but have not hooked it up yet.

Just from reading the manual it does not appear possible to record any of the progams recorded on the hard drive to a stand alone DVD recorder.

Is this the case?

Thanks for your responses......

Just make sure you unplug the phone line (or disable the caller-id popups)so that the caller id info don't pop up when you are recording a program. :D

One question from the newbie here! How do any of you export to your computer(s)? I have an iMac and want to export Tivo to it to burn and edit (not neces. in that order). Also have any of you imported from your computer back to the Tivo? Granted if you already have burned it you can play the dvd but......

thanks

Has anyone ever yanked a HD out of a 721 or similar DVR unit, installed it in their PC and tried to burn it to DVD, or save it in some "usable" form? Just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)