722 and 222 chipset changes?

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I was told this morning by a guy in the warehouse, that 722s and 222s are coming into the warehouse with a different part number, and are labeled to have a different chipset. This has to be a major change of some sort, because they've been told to use up of all the ones with the older chipset (known as the "206" chip). The new ones are labeled as having the "DN241" chipset. Does anyone know anything about this new chipset? Is it more powerful?

There are new 222 and 722 coming though. 222 def has new chipset, basically going to be a 722 with no hard drive for reals this time.

So, they're going to Broadcom on the 222? Any idea why? I was theorizing that the change in chipset for the 722 might be because of the Tivo thing, since they're having to jump through some hoops in order to circumvent Tivo's patent. Perhaps this new processor will make that easier?

All of the ViP receivers use a broadcom chipset.

The first answer to your question is correct. We've known that they will be rolling out a new version of the smartcard, which means all the existing ViP receivers will need an actual card sent to the owners. These "new" ViPs will have the new smartcard embedded.

All of the ViP receivers use a broadcom chipset.

The first answer to your question is correct. We've known that they will be rolling out a new version of the smartcard, which means all the existing ViP receivers will need an actual card sent to the owners. These "new" ViPs will have the new smartcard embedded.

No, not all of the VIP are Broadcom. Currently the 612 and 222 use ST and Conexant, respectively.

There are new 222 and 722 coming though. 222 def has new chipset, basically going to be a 722 with no hard drive for reals this time.

I don't understand why they don't just have a 722 with hard drive and 722 without the hard drive as it would save them money on making two different types of cases and a hard drive could always be added on unless the larger case really costs that much more to produce than the smaller ones. Maybe it is due to the fact that a 222 can be turned into a DVR if you add an external hard drive to it. If that is the case then I do not see why they do not just make 222's and add an external hard drive to people that want DVR service.

I don't understand why they don't just have a 722 with hard drive and 722 without the hard drive as it would save them money on making two different types of cases and a hard drive could always be added on unless the larger case really costs that much more to produce than the smaller ones. Maybe it is due to the fact that a 222 can be turned into a DVR if you add an external hard drive to it. If that is the case then I do not see why they do not just make 222's and add an external hard drive to people that want DVR service.
Because then they would have to drop more time into training the techs on how to do a HDD installation for people that upgrade to DVR service. Sounds like that wouldmt be much of a hassle but it could cost them a lot of money in replaced recievers cause some techs are completely electronic illiterate and could drip water or sweat on the PCB or short a circuit because they didnt upplug the reciever to do the swap etc, etc.. They would also have to ship more supplies out to the office warehouses around the nation to carry the HDDs. I know how rough I am with recievers...HDDs wouldnt take that kind of abuse alone.