722 and AppleTV ethernet

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I have an AppleTV sitting next to a 722. I was wondering if I should be able to connect the 2 together with Ethernet and then the 722 would wireless talk to my Airport & Internet via the AppleTV?

I tried it once months ago and was not sure if it should work or didn't work because I didn't do something correctly.

I have an AppleTV sitting next to a 722. I was wondering if I should be able to connect the 2 together with Ethernet and then the 722 would wireless talk to my Airport & Internet via the AppleTV?

I tried it once months ago and was not sure if it should work or didn't work because I didn't do something correctly.

No, that won't work. An AppleTV doesn't have any wireless router capabilities like an Airport. It is only capable of talking directly to the Apple iTunes store (either by ethernet wire or wifi).

The best means to connect the 722 to your Airport Extreme (I assume) wirelessly, is to use an Airport Express ($99) as a wireless network extension to your current Airport Extreme wireless network. The Airport Express would plug into a 110v wall jack next to the 722, with a short ethernet cable going between the 722 and the Airport Express. This would avoid stringing an ethernet cable all the way from your Airport Extreme to the 722.

I used this very solution for many months until I completed the Gigibit wiring throughout my house (It was easier for me though since I had an extra Airport Express just laying around).

There is documentation on Apple's web site on how to do this extension, or better yet, get the Genius Bar at a Apple store to show you exactly how to do this. $99 may seem a bit expensive at first, but is a quick, no hassle, Apple integrated solution.

Can you use the Airport Express to receive music from iTunes to a home theater at the same time with this connection? If so, I would likely give it a try.

Can you use the Airport Express to receive music from iTunes to a home theater at the same time with this connection? If so, I would likely give it a try.

That is what I use my Airport Express for exclusively. The express has a combination mini jack / optical connection that goes to the stereo, and once the box is checked to 'look for wirless speakers' (or devices) in iTunes is checked, the express shows up in the iTunes window.
It can also share a USB printer over the wireless connection, although it would be a little odd to have a printer next to the home theatre (or vice versa).;)
I tried to use an express as a wireless to wired bridge, but that only works with Airport Extreme (and some Linksys) routers.
The express is a nice little device, compact and simple.
Miner

I guess I'll key an eye on the Apple Refurb store for an Airport Express! Thanks for the feedback!

and

That is what I use my Airport Express for exclusively. The express has a combination mini jack / optical connection that goes to the stereo, and once the box is checked to 'look for wirless speakers' (or devices) in iTunes is checked, the express shows up in the iTunes window.
It can also share a USB printer over the wireless connection, although it would be a little odd to have a printer next to the home theatre (or vice versa).;)
I tried to use an express as a wireless to wired bridge, but that only works with Airport Extreme (and some Linksys) routers.
The express is a nice little device, compact and simple.
Miner

Just to be clear, mrhoni's original question seemed to be about how to use a wireless connection for the ethernet jack (presumably to avoid the dreaded $5 nonconnection fee). However, what is implied by Miner and Foxbat, you can use an Airport Express for BOTH wireless extension and music streaming AT THE SAME TIME; nice feature.

Also, as Miner says, an Airport Express can only be used to extend a wireless netowrk with an Airport Extreme, OR another Airport Express. Using this network extension is s an easy way to extend the range of your wireless network for trouble spots.

The Apple Refurbished Store had the Airport Express for $69 last night, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one. (If you click on the link, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to see the Airport networking devices.)

I'll post again after I get a chance top plug it in to my 622 and home theater.

(Edit: I just checked the store this morning and they're out again.)

I got my AirPort Express yesterday and just unboxed it. It looks like the +size of the iPod power pack. However, the Setup Guide doesn't say anything about the use of the AirPort Express in the manner outlined above. I'll play around with it when I get a chance.

Foxbat,

Just setup the Express using the Airport Utility and configure for "connect to an existing wireless network" then with iTunes the Express should be available in the lower right side of the window (enable remote speakers in preference).
For a Mac product, the setup is not very intuitive or friendly.

Miner

Foxbat,

Just setup the Express using the Airport Utility and configure for "connect to an existing wireless network" then with iTunes the Express should be available in the lower right side of the window (enable remote speakers in preference).
For a Mac product, the setup is not very intuitive or friendly.

Miner
That was the easy part. Now I need to snake the cables through my Entertainment Center to get my 622 connected. Good thing it's a long weekend...

To use the Express as an Ethernet bridge to the 722, you have to change both the Extreme base and Express to use WDS (wireless distribution). Change the Express first or you won't be able to access it after changing the base station to WDS.

To use the Express as an Ethernet bridge to the 722, you have to change both the Extreme base and Express to use WDS (wireless distribution). Change the Express first or you won't be able to access it after changing the base station to WDS.
Ah, this may be a problem as I have a Netgear 54G Wi-Fi router. The Wireless Distribution is supported only with the AirPort Extreme basestation? I assume the Time Capsule will work the same as the AirPort Extreme?

Ah, this may be a problem as I have a Netgear 54G Wi-Fi router. The Wireless Distribution is supported only with the AirPort Extreme basestation? I assume the Time Capsule will work the same as the AirPort Extreme?

Foxbat,

Some 54Gs will work, but I believe you would need to download the firmware that includes the functionality. It may be the open source versions, but I believe they are avail from linksys.

I don't know if the Time Capsule supports WDS. The tech spec page on apple.com doesn't list it, but it doesn't list it for the Airport Extreme.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)