722 & Cable

bouser

Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
united states
The vip 722 has an antenna input and a setup screen where you can select the type input you have (over the air, irc, hrc, or cable). When I plug in the tw cable tv coax and run a channel scan, no channels are found. It works fine with an over the air antenna; but I want to use the 722 box to watch cable so that I can use the dvr function. What do I need to do to get cable to work thru the 722 ird.

It doesn't do QAM. Nobody knows why the "cable" option is there, since cable systems that do 8VSB are almost unheard-of. (It should've been a requirement, IMO.) Some people will try to say that that's the setting for the output format, but I'm pretty sure that that's on another menu somewhere.

If it's and output port, why doesn't the scan pick up the cable channels?

The "Cable" option outputs the receiver's TV2 output to TV2 on an analog cable frequency instead of an OTA frequency. The ViP receivers themselves only have ATSC tuners for OTA reception. They do not have clear QAM tuners needed for cable nor cablecards for encrypted QAM on cable.

That's what I'm getting at. Can anything be done to the cable signal ( like a cable box ) to convert QAM to ATSC for input into the tv input port on the 722?

How much are you willing to pay?

It will not be cheap, it will not be reasonably priced.

The "Cable" option outputs the receiver's TV2 output to TV2 on an analog cable frequency instead of an OTA frequency. .

Ypu're talking about the "cable" option in the modulator setup screen.

The OP is asking about the option on the HDTV setup screen.

It was an option from when the previous model recevers (the 942) had an ANALOG tuner. It changes the INPUT tuning frequencies from over the air to the various cable frequencies that are used in the US. (It actually still does this even though it has no analog tuner.) If you change it you will be tuning the wrong frequecies and wont be able to get any of the (UHF) ATSC channels so make sure you keep it set to "OffAIR".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)